Got A Copyright Claim NOT From The Copyright Holder? Read This

ricktheruler

Reaction score
Hello... I have a question here. I'm from Croatia and I'm doing video essays on Croatian for a geek site from my country. The video contains my audio commentary about the live-action movie trailer, whitewashing, Hollywood and anime, the importance of GITS, themes of GITS and stuff. Two copyright claims were made and I have question about both of them.

The first was made by Starz Media LLC which is actually a copyright holder for GITS anime in USA as far as I can tell. They didn't remove my video, but it's blocked in the U.S. Should I react? I mean, video essays are fair use? There are lots of channels like that on YouTube who earn money so I think they are, and I have no trouble with Paramount/Dreamworks for that video about using the footage from the live-action movie trailer. Should I file a dispute? This is offtopic, I know, I'm sorry, but the second one isn't and while I'm at that, I figured it would be easier to discuss it here.

The second claim was made by a network called Sevenlundus Company, to be more precise, by a specific gaming channel (!) called La Gamerteca which is on Spanish. There's NO WAY they hold any rights. I'm considering filing a dispute, but what should I write?

I hope someone will understand my problems here. Thank you. :)

zirukurt01

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator, Cartoonist
I uploaded a remix of a Videogame OST which is not commonly found on internet, i only found it on a custom map of Warcraft 3 which is a Castlevania RPG map.

After i upload the music, a YT bot or Company made an inaccurate content claim on my video.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I never really understood the difference between parody and satire until this. good write up man, thank you much.

Fox Beat

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I uploaded a remix of a Videogame OST which is not commonly found on internet, i only found it on a custom map of Warcraft 3 which is a Castlevania RPG map.

After i upload the music, a YT bot or Company made an inaccurate content claim on my video.
Such a great joke dude!! [emoji16]

Reaction score
This has been happening to me frequently. As a music producer, I often licence sample packs to include in my music. On multiple occasions, within the last month, the sounds from the licensed sample pack have triggered content ID claims by other artists who used the same sample. Understand that in my liscence agreement it stipulates that these samples cannot be licensed to anyone exclusively. The record labels/distributors claim them on behalf of their artists, but they have no idea that their artists do not have exclusive rights to the content they are claiming. In some cases, the label/distributor has been cooperative but in other cases the dispute has been completely ignored. Thankfully youtube allows me to monetize the video during a dispute, however I still have several pending disputes on claims made by entities which do not own the copyright to the media.

If they reject the dispute, this is going to be a big headache and I don't think youtube should give so much benefit of the doubt to anyone who claims to be the copyright holder. In my opinion this is systemic abuse, albeit not intentional, the result is the same. In my opinion content ID should only be utilized by humans who are trying to make a deliberate claim. The automated nature of this system lends itself to abuse.

sirbestow

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have issues with companies that have NO rights claiming stuff. It takes weeks and time to dispute it- steps I feel are necessary. One particular offender is AdRev. They have a group of songs that are falsely claimed. I purchase my music through Digital Juice legally. Yet at least 1 or 2 times a month I have to go through the process. I've tried connecting Digital Juice to AdRev directly to get this solved (where it usually escalates to the point that DJ threatens lawsuit against AR and AR just disappears and stops responding).

I also admin on a second channel that doesn't want monetization turned on to present their work ad free. We enjoy watching false claims pop up on those works to turn on monetization on for themselves. One particular claim was against a song we used from a band that "doesn't believe in copyright and provides their music free for others to enjoy and use" yet someone popped in there and claimed it and turned on monetization for themselves.

In the end I've tried to contact YouTube to find out if there's efforts to weed out false claims. YT's official response is they "don't get involved". Funny. They provide a system that makes them involved, but as far as abuse of that system they don't get involved....

Lock

$$$
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have been using photodex and the FREE music files from their library ...but some of them have been flagged by youtube minutes after i uploaded them ...there is this site epidemicsound.com/ where you can use and even after the trial period of 30 days you can still use them

Digital Beast

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm so scared of copyright that I just get all my music from YouTube audio library.
Like one of my videos got content id'd (my first) and I just MUTED the video and put some music over it!

Turns out that the music that was claimed to be in there was actually NOT in there. :/

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I'm so scared of copyright that I just get all my music from YouTube audio library.
I love Youtube Audio Library and I use it as often as I can.
But if a mainstream song stick in my mind while editing the video, eh, ok...
I try to use it and always accept (do nothing) to any claim Youtube notifies me about...