GoPro wind noise

Hi all,

I'm currently using a GoPro Hero 5 to record my mountain biking rides with but seem to be having an issue with ambient wind noise. I've seen a couple of options out there such as little fluffy bits to put over the mic ports or a foam case to cover the whole unit (although this only seems to be for the Hero 4).

Anyway, what are you all using? Ideas/suggestions welcome.

Cheers

TheBeardedMountainBiker

This is a problem with you high-speed MTB guys.. I dont have this isssue with my GoPro strapped to Jeeps, but they rarely crawl over rocks at more than 2MPH.
Is yours in a plastic case? I would think that would cut down the wind noise. I have a Hero 5 Session which has no case, so if it's windy it's really bad.
A wind-sock/dead-cat of some sort would probably help - that's what we use on our other cameras.. Stuffing some foam in the holes like you suggested might do the trick.

I think having a case in general would help cut-down on the noise. But if you already do than yea, the fluffy bits :) are the way to go in my opinion. They actually help out a lot, and there are tons of tutorials on YouTube on how to do it. But the overall would be the case as it provides protection for your case, and potentially noise control. But tbh do you plan to use the audio in the footage? many people prefer a montage type vibe for those kinds of videos, and then have people explain while stopped or before they start. Just a work around if you wanted to change it up with out purchasing any new hardware. GL!

Thanks both. I'm using the case/mounting bracket that comes with the Hero 5 Black. I really want to keep as much of the trail/bike sound as I can but try to reduce the wind noise. I'll try a foam cover and see how that goes.

Back