Getting better at commentary!

Honestly, it just takes time. The more you make videos, the easier commentary will get! I've been making videos on and off for three years and I still have moments where I don't feel my commentary is best. But as long as you enjoy it, you start to worry less if your commentary is good enough.

First make sure you are playing games that you enjoy playing. Faking enthusiasm will just cause burnout. Second, prepare yourself before recording. Do some stretches, drink some water, and just start with a positive attitude. It goes a long way. Good luck recording!

Multitasking is something that most humans literally can't do. You won't do both perfectly, almost ever, that's why a lot of people play with others in their videos. It gives them time to think of what they're gonna say for themselves, or they can just have a conversation instead of having to think of topics for yourself. Maybe find someone else to play with? Or just have bad gameplay. Not a lot of people care about gameplay that much

If this is for YouTube and not streaming, I would adopt an approach I have taken and what many others have done. Record the gameplay you want, then add the voiceover later. Yes you will have to do a little editing, but it also gives you time to write down what you want to say so you don't forget anything. This makes for a much tighter and presentable video for your viewers. And that's what it's all about.

Last edited:
Thank you guys. You've all said that this takes practice, confidence and a positive attitude. I am going to try all of this & see what happens!
Thanks
Hannah

you just have to focus and try and enjoy yourself play with a friend or record the gameplay and do the commentry after depending on what game it is

practice. I don't do gaming video's but my content still requires working with your hands while speaking, I do quite a bit of my commentary in voiceover as it just makes the whole production process faster, both in editing and recording but I feel that live commentary makes for a better video. when im by myself not recording sometimes I just talk about what im doing outloud as I am doing it for practice. you might look a little crazy if someone walks in on you but that's ok I think were probably all a little crazy anyway.

Back