Free music but got a copyright note thing!

I used free music from YouTube's audio library.
I want to monetise the video, but then a share will go to the people who said the music belongs to them.

That video has 5000+ views.

I had a problem that might be related. I was automatically denied monetization for two of my videos that had free music (compositions from the 19th century no less) and one with no music at all. They insisted on evidence of usage rights. I appealed, and nearly a month later, I'm still waiting for a response.

Update: Well whoop-de-doo, it's happened to a fourth video now.

Last edited:
I had a problem that might be related. I was automatically denied monetization for two of my videos that had free music (compositions from the 19th century no less) and one with no music at all. They insisted on evidence of usage rights. I appealed, and nearly a month later, I'm still waiting for a response.

Update: Well whoop-de-doo, it's happened to a fourth video now.
You don't appeal a request for evidence of usage rights. You either provide statements of how you have commercial rights in every portion of your video, or you get denied monetization of that video. Such statement can include that you have written permission from a rights owner, or a link to a royalty free or public domain music's terms of use. I've actually seen cases where people who filmed a video themselves and provided all of the music via their own composition, have to say to YouTube Admin "I, [name], hereby grant myself the right to use this work of my own authorship commercially".

I will attach a template I created just for this purpose as I get asked this occasionally by YouTube as well. You may be able to alter it for your own use, and I am happy for anyone on this forum to do so. One thing: if you read the text that YouTube puts up immediately on submission of your usage rights information, it clearly says that the decision to monetize or not rests with YouTube and the video you submit for will go into a review queue. I've had videos stuck in this review queue for more than 18 months; so one month is nothing. All you can do is wait.

Attachments

• Usagerights Template.txt
    663 bytes · Views: 5
Last edited:
Thanks for the help. :)

It is pretty annoying. It would be nice if they could could just grant monetization automatically, unless there was at least prima facie evidence of copyright infringement. Or if they wanted to be thorough and consistent, they could just withhold monetization until they'd reviewed each video manually (of course, that would be even more annoying for us). As it stands it feels like a roll of the dice each time you upload a video. Oh well.

Thanks for the help. :)

It is pretty annoying. It would be nice if they could could just grant monetization automatically, unless there was at least prima facie evidence of copyright infringement. Or if they wanted to be thorough and consistent, they could just withhold monetization until they'd reviewed each video manually (of course, that would be even more annoying for us). As it stands it feels like a roll of the dice each time you upload a video. Oh well.
In this case, it isn't a matter of copyright infringement; it's a matter of licensing levels. There are licenses in existence which only allow for non-commercial usage, and YouTube is well aware of this. So I guess they are covering themselves against people who violate licensing terms by doing this. You're very welcome for the help; this is definitely one of the more annoying things YouTube has come up with, for sure!

Back