Forming a business license / LLC for YouTube Channel

Creator X

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
I would say the answer is going to vary widely as far as big YouTubers. Many of the top channels will have established legal business entities because it makes sense business wise.

As far as your situation... I definitely would form some kind of legal business entity. (LLC, etc) It won't necessarily protect you from liability for prank videos if something did go wrong, but it certainly can't hurt. Also, from a business perspective being a multiple party business... it makes a whole lot of sense. It's a business regardless of if you form a legal entity (tax liabilities, expenses, etc), so you might as well get it formalized and in the best form for your situation now.

As for consent... something in writing certainly would be better. Are you getting the consent on video? (just curious)

Obviously, consult a lawyer (or other professionals) for the best advice for your situation. There are way too many factors for anyone to assess over the Internet.

Hope that helps and good luck!

LukeLuke7

Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, we are getting their consent on video.

ThioJoe

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I would definitely talk to an experienced business lawyer to help you create the llc. It will cost more, but you don't want to screw around when it comes to your business, especially when multiple people (employees) are involved.

ThioJoe

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I've actually been planning to try and form an llc for my channels. I'll probably be meeting with a lawyer within a week or two, so I can let you know what might be involved. I don't really know anything about how to do it myself, that's why I'm meeting with the lawyer. I recommend you do as well, since every situation is different, especially for you since multiple people are involved.

Creator X

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Well, because this thread popped back up we'll add a small bit of anecdotal info.

We asked around and got confirmation of a bigger channel that is an LLC and several creators saying: "I know I should form one, but haven't yet". Nobody said anything specifically against doing them, so it seems the general consensus is to go ahead with them when they make sense. (or procrastinate even when you know you should haha)

Hope that helps!

Hardisk

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Just so you know, in the US at least, there is no idea of private life in the public space. You can be filming whatever and whomever in the public space without asking them for any authorization.

HOWEVER, be very carefull if you're in a private space OR a private space open to the public (EX : Mall , School library..) because then, the rule of the owner applies.