Final Cut Pro / Speeding up a video

kiawill

YTtalk Mad
Hi,

I think this is called a time laspe?

But I had my camera on a tripod, videoing people in a busy high street, I want to fast forward it, but when I select x4.... the footage becomes really jumpy if that makes sense. I only managed to go as far as x2.

I was filming of a Sony RX100 ii camera, pretty good camera tbh.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Hi,

I think what is happening is that Final Cut is trying to play back your video and it's not able to display it real time for you to view. If you were to render it out, then once exported it will be all smooth like you want it to be.

If there's an orange bar above the clip in the timeline, then try this..
  1. Open the Final Cut Pro preferences menu.

2. Under the Playback tab, deselect “background rendering” and then close the Preferences menu.

3. Highlight clips in your FCPX timeline and use the shortcut CONTROL + R to render those selected clips!
Deselecting it means you can chose what to render, and it will also speed up the program a bit as it won't be rendering stuff in the background you don't want it to. It does however mean you will need to manually render the clips that have the orange bar above it if necessary (some won't need to be rendered to play back smoothly).

When you hit CONTROL + R this will do a background render of the clip so you can play it back smoothly whilst editing it. There will be a percentage done display next to the time stamp in the middle showing how long is left. If you change speeds or anything, you will have to re render the clip.

Hope this helps,
Evan Ricketts.

What version of Final Cut are you using? I'm assuming FCPX since I don't think there is a x4 or x2 option in FCP7, but as EJRicketts was saying, in FCPX the program will try to auto-render more often than 7 and can render stuff before you make changes and can be a bit of an annoyance.

Back