• Please note that all milestone posts must not be of a promotional nature and must conform to the Milestones Forum Rules. All "almost" and "nearly" milestone threads are deleted.

Feeling stoked on my watch time & views! 8000hrs/300,000views

OndaWire

Make me Happy & Follow me to get the REAL on tech
Well holy batman oil. I just checked and geez! I'm at 8000 watch time hours and 300,000 views. Next step is to get the subs up. Only at 153 but still feeling super stoked!
smile.png

Congrats, but I have a ton of questions.

Your channel is either a unicorn or you are doing something behind the scenes that no one else is doing. I feel like you are getting a large number of views from non-normal places. Some of your videos are with not exactly popular devices yet have enormous views. Your retention on these is ok but not spectacular which makes me think it isn't Youtube that is pushing your content out, it is coming from somewhere else.

In addition, you have several videos that aren't that old that have TONS of websites linking to them. So I guess what I'm asking is, what is the secret?

Ahh, something is going on.

I checked out "Best Essential oil Diffuser 2018 test and review".

I could go down a list of reasons why this video has no reason to have as many views as it does but then I read the comments....

I've never seen so many people say "like my comment" before in my life. It doesn't even make sense. So what service are you using to get views?

Hi Travis. *I wish* I was a unicorn. lol I do use two services. Outside of pushing my content to every social platform I can and sharing the video through the YouTube link, I use Vid IQ which I personally think is amazing. I see people talk about TubeBuddy (and I tried their free version) but VidIQ just does a whole lot more to me. The constant emails i get from them on how and when to change my keywords and which ones are working and which ones aren't is awesome. Their SEO is just a million times better and its updated daily. (WOW I FEEL LIKE IM PROMOTING THEM). Every video I post, I filter 100's of keywords and almost max out the 500 limit. The 2nd thing I use is adwords to promote.
I WILL NEVER DO PLUMBUS GROUPS. I am totally against the begging and asking me to sub to you channel just because. I tell all of those groups the same thing. DON'T ASK ME NOR WILL I ASK YOU. I would rather have 1k subs and people who really want to watch my content than 10K subs of fake accounts. I think sub for sub is a joke!
*okay now that I'm done ranting about that* lol I also use TopBuzz (which gets me close to a 1000 views +). I don't know how they promote (I'm thinking click bait because I have the app on my phone and I get tons of click bait) so to me that probably explains some of the comments I get. (again I am assuming here on that statement). I also use patreon, daily motion, minds, metecafe, sharree, google+, tumbler, stumbleupon, youtube forum and redditt just to name a few. *geez that was a lot of a few* :) All of this promoting the videos probably takes just as much time as editing the videos take and I do that with each video 2-3 times a week. I just started doing these videos in Jan 2018 with zero experience and doing it all for fun. Seriously just for fun. No one has paid me anything (yet) as that would be nice. Maybe one day!

This is very helpful information.

I use VidIQ, Morning fame and Tubebuddy and I find they all offer slightly different things. I wish I could get rid of 2 of the 3, but I just can't seem to do it.

Of those other things you use to promote, which 2 are the most successful? I've not heard of some of them (TopBuzz in particular) but I may be interested in checking some out. I know about posting in forums and such which isn't always worth the time for me (and in my experience, Reddit destroys your audience retention so for me, that's out) but I'd like to know what you have found success in.

Thanks for being an open book, this is very good information.

Yeah VidIQ works best for me and I like how I paid for an actual service with them, not just a subscription to keywords. I really like all that they offer.Do you take full advantage of the VidIQ service? I'm telling you man (through my experience with TubeBuddy alone) VidIQ is super helpful. The one thing I find most helpful is the daily updated SEO keyword and rankings of my current keywords. I UPDATE THAT DAILY, as time consuming as it is and I think that works. When I search some of my videos I can see that I am starting to pop up a lot,which I think is super cool.

Lately I have really been focusing on my thumbnails. I do that (acting as if I was looking it something up) because I know, when I look at videos, I tend to look at thumbnail for some odd reason in my mind, thumbnails shows me (again my opinion) professionalism or say credibility to the video in some sense. Now I am not saying thumbnails are king but it's something I look at but again I'm an odd individual. lol

I do agree with you, and not to be negative here, but Reddit does seem to be counterproductive. It almost seems that everything I post in there gets negative feedback and almost becomes deterring. I still post there just because I feel that even if i can get across to one person it was worth the post.
As far as what I find works....... Geez that's hard because I don't know how to track it. I will say one thing (that I didn't mention in the earlier post) is that I do advertise on FB a lot. I promote my videos and YouTube channel on FB hard. I may spend $100 a week to run promo for a video and that video on FB will get several thousand views. I have it set to where when people click on it, it takes them directly to my video on YouTube and I feel that is working.
As far as those other sites and medians to promote, I just do a lot of research so that YouTube isn't my only outlet. I want to get on as many platforms and outlets as possible. Life would truly be so much easier if I had the money to pay someone to do all of that so I could simply just focus on making these reviews. But again, I just started doing this 3 1/2 months ago with zero experience and when I say zero experience, I MEAN ZERO so I don't know if my advice means much. lol I do everything from filming, editing (which I feel I am getting better) and pushing them out. Again, I truly started out just doing these videos for fun but who knows............ maybe one day I'll be a know tech review guy. lol
I just checked out your channel and man your energy is awesome

Last edited:
I guess we are a lot more alike than I originally thought.

I really only started my channel on Feb 20th. I had 170 subs at the time but that was only from random videos I posted for about 7 years. I wasn't trying to have a channel, it was just a dumping ground for videos I didn't want to post on Facebook.

So I started to take it seriously about 2 months ago and I've done ok. I don't really promote my stuff anywhere else. I let Youtube automatically tweet for me and then I don't promote anywhere else. I'm considering doing it now because I have some aggressive goals for this year.

My biggest video is because of VidIQ. The suggestion for the keyword was right on. I have a paid subscription but I'm not sure what email you are talking about. I don't get emails from VidIQ. I guess I should look into that.

And yes, Thumbnails are very important. Have you looked at your CTR in the beta page yet? That basically tells you how good your title and thumbnails are. Youtube says 2-10% is good. BTW, if you go to your analytics and look at traffic sources, you should be able to tell which technique you are using is working for views. Look for external sources and click it to see what is driving traffic.

As far as Facebook goes, I'm open to the possibility but I don't want to spend any significant cash on any particular ads. I'm willing to test and see how it goes but I don't typically throw down like that because I try to spend the money on devices for the channel.

You are obviously good in front of the camera and a lot better than most tech channels that have more experience than you so I'm guessing it's just a matter of time. Your hustle on the promo front is pretty impressive. I'm willing to do some of it, just trying to figure out what the bang for my time is.

Last edited:
Yes I agree. Not knowing you but watching your videos and conversing through here, our energy and what we like doing is a lot alike. I watched your videos man and was like DAMN this guy is good.
You are definitely killing it with the subs being that you had 170 to start out and now 2 months later you grew to almost 655. That's almost 200 a month without a lot of views. That's flipping awesome! I started at 0 subs Jan 15th when I put out my first video and 4 months later, I guess I can say I am happy so far with the 156 that I have. I definitely have to figure out how to grow my subscribe base, so super job to you man on that front.

So two things that you mentioned in your reply.
1. What do you mean you let YouTube tweet for you?
2. I have no clue what CTR is. I will go to that beta tab to see if I can find it and figure it out.

Just an FYI..... Make sure if you do the FB ads you really follow it and I mean follow it daily. Dude I change my audience daily based on the trends. For example, I ran that diffuser video on FB and promoted it and saw that women were primarily watching and clicking on it. My ppc for women was like 0.21 cents and for men it was $1.94 so I cut the men out and promoted just to women and saw a big pick up and better bang for the money spent so watch that stuff daily if you decide to try it. :) It can get costly and addictive (especially when you see the good happening).

Thank you for the inspirational words. I think the biggest feedback I get from friends and family is I seem natural and not scared on video. I truly love the camera and don't shy away from it a bit, so now if I can get my video editing skills to match, I might have something. LMAO I agree, I hustle my butt off on the front end. One thing I tell everyone is, you can have the best product in the world BUT IF NO ONE KNOWS ABOUT IT what does it mean? You can have the worst product in the world but if it catches whim and takes off, you are the next star or millionaire!!! Look at the Chia-pet! LOL Remember, chi-chi-chi-CHIA! Omg that has to be worst, BEST SELLING, thing ever, all because it was marketed right!

Again, about your videos. Man you are good. Your editing is good also. I take it you have experience in that field. Tell me your secrets or give any feedback that you have to help me grow the subscriber base. I'm struggling there.

We should take this offline. Maybe do a skype call or something. I think we could teach each other some cool things.

My email address is on my youtube page. Send me an email with some times that work for you and we can chat. Could be good for us both.

Back