False Copyright Claim: "The Thief Becomes The Claimant"

Heathcliff

Here is something refreshing, the thief becomes the claimant. Long live the automated Youtube Flagging system.

Under the copyright law (DMCA) only the copyright holders can make claims of copyright infringement. So a few days ago i discovered that a Youtube user uploaded my own created work. So, I flagged the content in question.

Day later i see in my inbox a mail entitled "Copyright takedown notice". I was flabbergasted upon i discovered the claimant is the same person who stole my content and flagged my video, guess what.... the original video he stole in first place.

He already have proven he's out of his mind but this story continues: In a mail he said "you could have asked before you screw me, I also have the record of this video MCN: BUP5V-XDEM0-0833V, I never wanted to hurt anyone, we do the following, you take your message and then I withdraw my notice".

Am i dealing with a narcissist? If so, i am doomed. Because the only one who can have the original video is me. Suddenly he's talking about MCN: BUP5V-XDEM0-0833V. What is that?
So i gave feedback: "No that's not how it works. You want to use my content, YOU could have asked before. Not other way around mister".

Than he replied: "we will be discussing and will not get anywhere, we recorded the video so now I'm right, we will solve you withdraw its notification and I promise I will withdraw too, unlike you can do what you want if you do not withdraw the notification first non return this email"

Than i decided to give him a final reply before communication silence: "No, i don't make deals with you, because you are not in position to make deals here.

We both know the truth, your problem is, You can't proof your claim when the time comes and it will come.

I wish you good luck.
"

His reply on that: "then you get your strike and I get mine, and if you try to hurt me again and make me lose my channel, know that I can also make you lose your channel as you have multiple videos that belong to me and I record on my name, good luck"​

Now, this dude actually believe in his own lies and that make it dangerous. He claims i have used his content. He claims even that he recorded the video. LOL. I don't steal content, especially not from this Babylonian Donkey.

I've submitted a counter notification. I'm from Spain, this dude from Brazil. That will be a hell of an expensive legal action?

This happen to be a video that generates 100.000 views per month, Ouch!

Any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Nah, he is talking crap.
The following will happen:
1. YouTube takes both of your copyright claims into consideration and ask both parties to present evidence of the actual ownership.
2. So unless the guy is fabricating evidence he wont be able to present any evidence
3. You can just screenshot the date you uploaded vs. his date uploaded and provide that as evidence. Uploading a raw copy from the video might be a smart thing to do as well (although that may take a lot of time)
4. Worst case scenario: you both get a strike but yours will be removed when you dispute it.

As long as he doesnt have dirt on you (you using his videos) you are in the clear :)

Thanks for the input,

You are right, the things you said went through my mind. I found out what this code is. This person registered my video on my channel as his at myfreecopyright dot com. This website doesn't add any value, however, he did put it into action.

I discussed this with my lady, i've reached out to my lawyer for copyright violation, revenue loss and reputational damage.

If you own the rights to your content, you have nothing to worry about. Defend yourself and appeal all claims.

Voilá Yeah, i'm not planning to give in.
Next week the video will be restored, unless he put a copyright claim again on the same video (which i expect him to do).. YouTube did not provide me support. I received an relevant standard feedback.

Update: Youtube did not restored my video 22 days after i've submitted my counter notification. The false claimant's channel has been suspended.

Untitled-2.jpg

Almost a month i am trying to reach Youtube, so almost a month Youtube failed. Sorry i can't make it sound any better.

Today i've mailed them again that i will go public about this, they will get notified every 15 minutes on Twitter, next day i'll incl. my large Fan page. If this doesn't work i will reach out to my friend who is author of a newspaper. Because this is just a major fail, if i want (not that i will do it) i can take down pewdiepie's channel or any channel i dislike. Just 3 strikes is enough.

Why they don't provide me support has probably to do because i am an alternative news publisher.

Last edited:
Back