External microphone for Samsung Galaxy S5?

hildewereld

Hello, I've been recording my videos with my Samsung Galaxy S5, and even though the sound is pretty good, I kind of feel like I need an external mic just to make it a little clearer.
Now, google didn't really give me the info I need, so I hope someone here knows.
The phone has a regular 3,5 mm headphone jack (which should be able to pick up a mic right? as you can use it for handsfree calling with the earphones provided?) and a micro usb port. I tried connecting my gaming headset but that didn't seem to work, or do I have to change some settings for something like that?
I don't really want to purchase an external mic to find out it doesn't work!

Smartphone mics are pretty standard in plug design these days. You just need to make sure that they have the right number of contacts rather than your standard 3 piece headphone jack.
Im not completely sure what you mean by contacts, Im not very technical but thanks for the link, that helps too! It's pretty much what I'm looking for, so I'll have to start saving, haha. :)

Im not completely sure what you mean by contacts, Im not very technical but thanks for the link, that helps too! It's pretty much what I'm looking for, so I'll have to start saving, haha. :)

You will see that there are 4 metal segments on the plug(mic, left, right, ground). Normal headphones/earbuds only have 3, left right and a ground contact.

Smartphones got clever and set up compatibility with microphones by adding a 4th contact but using the same plug so that you can use regular headphones, or headphones with a mic as long as the plug was set up correctly.

IPod_and_iPhone_audio_plugs.JPG

You will see that there are 4 metal segments on the plug(mic, left, right, ground). Normal headphones/earbuds only have 3, left right and a ground contact.

Smartphones got clever and set up compatibility with microphones by adding a 4th contact but using the same plug so that you can use regular headphones, or headphones with a mic as long as the plug was set up correctly.
Ah I get it! Thanks so much for the help and explanation. :)

Back