Evolving Gaming Channel

marlinward

I would like to get a review of my channel. I've been making videos for over a year and in the last couple of months I've taken my channel from a video dump site to an actual channel. I've added branding, a theme, commentary to videos, comedy where I can and higher quality videos with improved camera, mic, and editing software. Ive asked my friends and family what they think and as you can assume they are all like "its great good work". But I want some honest feedback, I know I can improve.
The premise for this channel is to record game play that is both good quality and funny.

Last edited:
going to be honest about anything i see

your banner is bad. the image itself doesnt look bad but i dont even know what it is. your banner should tell me something about your channel it should represent something. if you make alot of videos on anime stuff through some anime stuff in your banner, gaming, gaming stuff. i dont even know what your profile picture is.

the text in your thumbails are unreadable. text should be large its readable, a few words, and it should contrast with the background(or atleast put a black border around the text). im only going to watch your most recent video. your "osiris" video. now. im assuming that the video is about osiris. i dont play smite. and im also assuming that osiris is a character in smite. yet i can barely make him out in the thumbnail. he's to dark and i cant really see any of the details. this actually goes for all of your smite videos featuring a character. if that video is about a character then blow them up. make them the focus of the thumbnail.

watching your osiris video. you need a better mic. not only does your mic have static but the quality is bad. you dont need some expensive mic(and im assuming your using like your laptop mic or w.e) just buy a cheap $20 gaming headset or w.e with a mic. i dont watch smite videos so i cant comment to much on the actual video. i havent watched the whole video but it just seems like some guy playing smite. you dont seem to be talking about anything interesting and i cant get a sense of who you are or how you play. your not putting "yourself" in your videos your just playing. if you have friends to make videos with then play off each other.

Ill look into changing the banner, getting a bit more into the video, and improving the mic and thumbnails.

I'm not sure if your recording or if these are stream highlights. And I what I mean by recording I mean did you set this up and planned this as a proper recording session or did you just clip a 15 minute clip from a stream?

I played Smite years ago when it was popular and before all stupid stuff started happening to it and I can see you are knowledgable at the game which is your only save here to be honest my friend. The "An Idiot plays Serqet" video was difficult to watch as there was no real introduction, didn't know who you were talking to nothing. There wasn't a whole lot of talking or explaining what you were doing either which made it difficult to watch.

I feel like you need some work on formatting your videos so they can have a little upgrade in quality because it looks like bare minimum cut and paste from Twitch to YouTube.

Just my honest opinion man. Feel free to take it on board as you please. I can help you out with some Thumbnail & Banner art if you want as a helping hand and as a kickstart to getting you on the path to creating high quality content.

I planned the recording, most of the talking was to my friend on discord with me. I record in 1080p and my face cam is 720. I just got a better mic. I would gladly accept any help you would be willing to give me. what happens is My wife and I usually sit down to play after putting the kids to bed, one of use comes up with an idea for a themed game, such as playing gods I dont ever play. I hit record and whatever happens happens. I do agree that saying what im doing and who im playing with at the beginning would be a bit less confusing.
So after a recording I use camtasia to clip and edit the videos which takes about 2 hours. the i use gimp to make a quick thumbnail, upload and bam thats it. Im not triing to cut corners here this has been a unguided learning experience not that im doing great now but im doing leaps and bounds better than my early videos.
My email is marlinward04@gmail.com i would love some assistance.

You have really high quality gameplay but I'd suggest removing the intro or adding one that isn't a still image. The image made me think the quality was going to be bad but it turned out to be a really good video. Besides like what other people said already fixing the thumbnails and Banner of your channel I think you should shorten your videos because for a Let's play it's hard for people to sit through a game for that long. I'd say like 12 mins max each part. I don't agree that you have to play with other people I think it's great when people play alone I like watching both. If you do a Walkthrough/ gameplay video that's when you would make your videos longer to 40-50 mins. I used to have a Let's play Channel and record hours of content and I shorten it to 10 to 12 mins each part. Get the best moments to show your viewers so that they don't get bored. Other then that keep gaming on you definally dony have to worry about having bad quality video it's great

Back