DSLR Webcam Help/Advice!

The8BitMonkey

Liking YTtalk
Hey everyone, with there being so many wonderful and talented YouTubers here I hope that there is someone that will be able to help me out.

So I recently bought a second hand Canon EOS 1100D, I'm currently using it for product reviews which is working fantastically BUT as I wanted to improve my Let's Play, Livestreams and Vlogging I wanted to use the DSLR through my PC for that.

My question is, what is the best and safest way to accomplish this?
If you use a DSLR as a webcam/reaction cam how do you accomplish it?

I know that lengthy use of the DSLR will cause the sensor to overheat but with it turning itself off at that point, will this damage the camera at all, is there anyway I can lengthen the time before it starts overheating at all, like a fan or something pointed at the back.

Would it work better to connect the camera through a capture card via HDMI and then to the PC or just use the USB and connect to it via programs like SparkoCam and the EOS Utility.

I hope some people can help me with this, this is my first DSLR hence why I am unsure of a lot of stuff with what is possible and no possible and don't want to walk into something blindly without some advice.

Thank you again.

[ Also before people say you can just use a cheap webcam, what webcam would you suggest that allows for a DSLR quality of video and manual focus for Shallow Depth Of Field? ]

Personally the only way I know how to do this would be using SparkoCam.

As for the overheating, are you sure it's overheating? During something like this the camera wouldn't need to be recording, just turned on. If it's turning itself off it might be because of the settings in the camera which make it turn off to save power if it doesn't think it's being used.

My Canon 700D turns itself off after 5 minutes of not being touched as a battery saving function. Maybe this is you're problem?

As for leaving the camera on too long damaging the sensor, I've never heard of this before? I've had my camera on for multiple 5+ hours at a time while filming and never once had a problem or heard of a problem like this.

Back