Does anybody know how people make these?

Spaceshipcontrol

Hey there,

on YouTube i have now seen quite a bunch of videos where somebody took out a specific moving(!!!) part out of another video and only put that into their video, by making a green screen out of it.
An example would be the Donald Trump Green Screen "A small loan of a million dollars", where they cut out the moving head of Donald Trump from the video and made a Green Screen out of it, to put it into a new background
I really wonder how that works. How exactly are you cleanly cutting out something that moves from a non-Green Screen video and make a Green Screen out of it? I am completely baffled.

PS: I hope this is the right forum for that.

I know you can accomplish a lot with mask tools in video editing software, like I use Sony Vegas. You can define what specific area of an overlay video that you want to show... I always think of something like Annoying Orange, where they've taken a recording of the person's face, and masked it so that only the bits they want show through, like the individual eyes or the mouth. The rest of the video becomes transparent and you can see the background clip underneath. But defining the masks and making them stay true throughout a long video clip sounds daunting!

ive tried greenscreen and its a huge pain in the butt, but masks are even worse. I suppose its easier with trump because he will likely be standing still talking, so it would be quite easy to put a mask around his head.

Yeah, something with not much motion wouldn't be toooo bad to work with. I've really only ever used masks to blur things in videos... people's faces... license plates... one time I accidentally left a government customs form lying in a shot with my address, phone number, social security number, and all on it... blur city, right there!! :D And of course, it was a slow panning shot, so I had to do a mask with motion, egggh...

Hey there,

on YouTube i have now seen quite a bunch of videos where somebody took out a specific moving(!!!) part out of another video and only put that into their video, by making a green screen out of it.
An example would be the Donald Trump Green Screen "A small loan of a million dollars", where they cut out the moving head of Donald Trump from the video and made a Green Screen out of it, to put it into a new background
I really wonder how that works. How exactly are you cleanly cutting out something that moves from a non-Green Screen video and make a Green Screen out of it? I am completely baffled.

PS: I hope this is the right forum for that.
Go to 1:06 of this video. This is the software I use, I haven't successfully done this yet, but it looks really cool and fast the way they did it here. I'd imagine a person just speaking would be very easy to track and I bet I could delete all but the blur using this mask function to create a clear image.

One way to do it is make a moving mask with keyframes. Keyframing a mask is basically where you tell a mask move to another position, frame by frame. There are a lot of auto-tracking software plugins for video editing software to help make keyframing much faster. The software finds an edge of an object and tracks it through the video, even if it might be moving. I'm tempted to buy this particular plugin so that I can more easily do stuff like that in Final Cut Pro X:
coremelt.com/products/slicex-powered-by-mocha.html

Just think of all the cool stuff you could do! You could make the background plants colored weird purple and blue colors, and still keep the subject's skin tone looking normal! It looks like a lot of fun! ^_^

Back