Do you recommend jumping on a trend to grow when starting out?

Lasersgo

I've Got It
Curious what you all think about jumping on trending topics/types of videos when starting out? I've read both sides of the argument: that it is a great way to get views and that it's overly saturated with bigger channels.

So...yeah. Would be interested in the forums opinion!

Latching onto trends is a good way to catch some traffic. Yes, these areas are often saturated with bigger channels, but do realize they started small as well. If you are good at spotting trends on time and are able to ride the wave in the first group of people making a video about it, it will definitely boost your channel! However, trends are always short lived, so making this type of content means you will constantly have to make new content and follow the latest trends. If you just do one trend, it will just give one boost to your channel and then die off again.

Definitely not an expert in the field but I would say that catching onto trends can be a great way to gain exposure, but can't be the sole premise of your channel. Making timely content about anything that is highly searched for will of course lead to at least some sort of growth. The only thing to keep in mind is that the world is constantly changing so you need to stay up to date in your field so that you can make relevant videos about trending topics in addition to your regular content that has more staying power/won't become irrelevant too quickly.

In addition to major trends, try to identify some lesser known ones that may not be as saturated. And of course try to put a unique spin on a trend and take it in a different direction. Take the 'floor is lava' trend - why not try 'floor is mayo'.

As a small gaming channel this is impossible for me. I only cover PS4 content so that would mean I would have to constantly jump on the newest game release. I'd be buying more games than I can possible play. Not to mention AAA games cost 65 EUR over here so yeah.. not going to happen.

Apart from my situation, I would probably suggest to include trending content to your normal content if possible. Any extra boost is useful at the start.

As a small gaming channel this is impossible for me. I only cover PS4 content so that would mean I would have to constantly jump on the newest game release. I'd be buying more games than I can possible play. Not to mention AAA games cost 65 EUR over here so yeah.. not going to happen.

Apart from my situation, I would probably suggest to include trending content to your normal content if possible. Any extra boost is useful at the start.

You don't have to switch games, but can you do the type of gameplay that is popular. Or the style of gameplay. Like i think GTA crash compilations were popular, then there was some viral stuff about train crashes. Perhaps you can track popular types of PS4 videos.

Perhaps you can track popular types of PS4 videos.

Not a bad idea, I'll see how I could get around that. I'm finding it difficult to find the current trends. You also mention gta crash compilations. This raises a question for me People that create these gta crash compilations or game fail compilations... I'm assuming they browse the web to find their video material since most of them give credit to the original poster of the certain crash, fail, whatever? So would it be courtesy to ask every single one of the original posters to use their clip? I mean, it could take ages until you hear back from all of them before you can even start creating the video.

Or would it not be a big problem to pinch that few second clip and use in your own video? Of course with mentioning their name in the video.

Sorry if I hijacked this thread a bit.

I think it would be good for a variety channel or a vlogging type channel,

But what about for the niche channels?

I think it would be good for a variety channel or a vlogging type channel,

But what about for the niche channels?
I think keeping an eye on trends within your niche is the key, they might be harder to spot than a general trend, but on the flipside maybe you can start the trend yourself.

Not a bad idea, I'll see how I could get around that. I'm finding it difficult to find the current trends. You also mention gta crash compilations. This raises a question for me People that create these gta crash compilations or game fail compilations... I'm assuming they browse the web to find their video material since most of them give credit to the original poster of the certain crash, fail, whatever? So would it be courtesy to ask every single one of the original posters to use their clip? I mean, it could take ages until you hear back from all of them before you can even start creating the video.

Or would it not be a big problem to pinch that few second clip and use in your own video? Of course with mentioning their name in the video.

Sorry if I hijacked this thread a bit.

I would think you can come up with your own footage for compilations. That's the safest way. It takes longer, but you can create unique stuff others don't have. Do wacky/fun/crazy/whatever scenarios with the games you play, and compile them into topical comps.
I can't really comment about using others' footage, I don't know what the norms and standards in the gaming vertical is. I know in the kids vertical, hardly anyone does it, and I doubt many kids channels would tolerate it without striking (with Toy Freaks being an obvious exception for whatever reasons). I would err on the side of caution and approach channels first, it takes longer, but have it as a side project while you do your own things.

Back