Do successful YouTubers ever quit while their channels are going well?

Andrewcu

I've Got It
It seems that the only instances when a YouTuber making solid money quits is when he/she is in some controversy or for health reasons/trauma. I don't see financially sound YouTubers quitting for another job.

To me this proves that YouTube is an excellent job for most. Or else it would be like other occupations where people change careers quite often these days.

Thoughts?

Many
It seems that the only instances when a YouTuber making solid money quits is when he/she is in some controversy or for health reasons/trauma. I don't see financially sound YouTubers quitting for another job.

To me this proves that YouTube is an excellent job for most. Or else it would be like other occupations where people change careers quite often these days.

Thoughts?
It's very individual to each creator really. Some successful YouTubers went to Hollywood, or started following other business enquires. For example RWJ went to make full featured movies and documentaries and co-created film production company. Shay Carl formed Maker Studios. Other YouTubers like the beauty and fitness stared doing merchandises, so they give less attention to the YouTube side of their business and even quit. Some gamers went for other endeavours like Twitch streaming, fundraising etc... So, its not only instances when a health issues make them quit. And also last month, YouTube forced hundreds of healthy channels/creators to quit after the ElsaGate scandal and the Adpocalypse 3.0. In 2016 many successful Drama/fake news channels also were "helped" quit, after Youtube/Google demonetized their channels and/or put them away from the first search engine pages.

Thoughts?

I'm not even close to the level of people that you're talking about. But on my tech channel I was doing pretty well, but I just kind of get bored of it and wanted to try something new. I just plan to upload occasionally now. I imagine that could happen to larger YouTubers too, you can't really keep doing something that you're bored of.

Let me ask you a rhetorical question, if you had a goose that lays golden eggs, would you kill it?
That's kinda the same. Their viewerbase is so big they will get consistent views and money whatever they do, so they just lower the video quality to minimal effort and then go to their cash filled swimming pool for another relaxing day.

The only reason would be they develop a secondary or tertiary revenue source that either takes less work or they feel more passionate about. But very big channels continue earning money even after they've stopped making videos.

Lots of successful people quit. It's hard psychological work to put yourself out there on a personal level for someone like vloggers. There are many examples of depression and people wanting to quit at their height, just look at h3h3 recently.

As a side note, don't consider youtube a "career". Think of it as a entrepreneurship opportunity. Very different mindset.

There's been a few Youtubers who switched careers. Troye Sivan was doing really well, but then his music career started to take off. He quit his channel and began working on his debut album. He has since scored a solo Top 40 hit in the US, released a critically acclaimed debut album which sold nearly one million copies, and finished three successful tours. You could say it worked out pretty well for him.

Another name is Shawn Mendes, who also quit his Youtube career in pursue of music. I don't think that he was ever really a big presence on Youtube since he was originally from Vine, but he did have a notable amount of success posting covers. Though, he's had a much bigger success than Troye did. If you've listened to the radio at all in the past two years, chances are you've probably heard a couple of his songs.

I'm sure there's many more, but those two are the only names that I could remember right now, mostly because I've known them before they started their music careers.

Well it really depends on the YouTuber some YouTubets quit because they just don’t want to make videos anymore, I know a YouTuber who is pretty successful with his music career because of his channel but he decided to quit and go back to college so he can meet people because he said it’s lonley being a YouTuber. Some YouTuber like Justin Bieber went on to something much bigger like their music career and their acting career, it just really depends on the person there’s different reasons why YouTubers quit depending on that person, but yeah really successful YouTubers do quit.

No one like to work. I think some of them might quit because eventually when you're living off, Youtube becomes less of a fun hobby that earns you some cash, and more like a job. And when Youtube feels like a job you HAVE to do, rather than WANT to do.... I'm not surprised that some would quit.

Back