Do I place my curtain in front of or behind me?

Mithril

YTtalk Mad
I completely covered my closet in blankets, but I don't think it's worth it to move everything over just for recording narration. I have a clothing rack which I draped a blanket over and I can just move around and use in my room. So if I can only use my clothes rack, do I place it in front of me or behind me? I've seen contradicting information online and in a bit confused. Also, I have a cardioid condenser mic. Thanks!

Short answer: Probably in front of you, but you really need to experiment to find the best placement.

Longwinded thoughts: Remember that the curtain's purpose is to absorb sound so it doesn't reach the mic. The only sound you want the mic to pick up is the sound traveling straight from your mouth. Not the echo of your voice, not the noise of your computer or the noise seeping through the walls and windows from outside.

Listen carefully to the ambient noise in your room. From what direction is the most noise coming? The least? Put your back towards the most quiet part of the room and use the curtain in front of you to block out that other noise. It should also kill most if not all of your echo. Hopefully whatever is behind you is soft, as hard surfaces enhance the echo.

Back