DJ copyright problems

Loliplol

Hi there! Thank you for clicking this thread! :)

So, as a new DJ, I have problems with copyright. So one question. If I put a bunch of echo, crush and other effects on a copyrighted song, will I have problems with it on YouTube?

Thanks for reading! :)
~ Loli

Maybe you can trick YouTube into not automatically recognizing the tracks. But then again, if you're going to apply s**t like a reverb, delay and bitcrusher to the tracks you play, nobody is going to enjoy your sets, I'm afraid.

So...if I buy every song I play, will I have problems?
Well, if you'll have problems depends on what you play. Some labels tend to be less nice towards copyright infringement than others. Because that's what it is. You buy a song for personal use, so that doesn't allow you to redistribute it.

You need to have permission to upload that content to YouTube. Even if your content isn't detected by Content ID, eventually it might get noticed anyway.

Song purchase is a license for personal use, not for public broadcasting. Now, in the case of many DJ's, there is often a case under fair use that they use due to remixes utilizing very small portions of other content mixed with largely generic or customized beats and backing tracks. To use a silly example, if you wrote your own industrial mix and overlaid something like the line "Can't touch this" by MC Hammer as a part of a much larger creation of content that you made yourself, it is unlikely that MC Hammer would have a legitimate case to sue you for infringement. Fair use is however only a legal defense in a court of law and does not apply to private platforms.

YouTube adheres to fair use only in a very limited sense. ContentID is the system which matches content to known sources and it does not discriminate on the basis of perceived fair use. You could have a 15 minute long song with just a 5 second clip of some other material and if YouTube recognizes it, your entire song will be claimed by the owner of those 5 seconds.

Back