Dealing with complete lack of inspiration, motivation and self-doubt?

Sometimes, you may find inspiration from hobbies or fields of interest completely different from yours. Here are a few experiences I've had with this:

Just before I started my Youtube channel, I started studying Croatian on and off for about 2 years. While I still haven't made much progress building up fluency in the language, it's fun and interesting, and led to some unexpected opportunities related to my Youtube channel.

I also did sound design as a hobby for several years and I loved making magical/ambient/abstract effects for video games. It ended up also benefiting my channel because it gave me a heightened appreciation for sound effects and music, so I carefully chose things that suited my channel's theme (and having your own sound effects too is a nice bonus).

Last but not least, I began studying philosophy, self-improvement, and some of the greatest minds on the planet back in 2011, as well as a little sales training. To this day, I'm still learning new and interesting things. That has given me excellent control over my voice and has gone a long way towards developing a great personality, character, even charisma.

If you find yourself running low on motivation and doubts are plotting mutiny in your mind, try opening yourself to some new experiences. You'd be surprised how useful they end up being.

Whenever I feel like my content isn't good enough, I try to do my best to get better at creating. I think that the more you pursue self-improvement, the more often you remove room for self-doubt, because you know you're doing what you can, and have things to leave behind, and be able to say, "Yeah, I tried, and I did it. I'm making progress!"

As for motivation, I prefer to not rely on it, because if I do, and a day comes when I just don't have it, my work ethic's done for. I try to get into the habit of working on things even when I don't necessarily "feel" like it. Motivated or not, I find editing fun, so it works out either way. I'm still having trouble doing this; it's not very easy for me, especially when I consider myself to be a big procrastinator, but I totally prefer this discipline to waiting for motivation sparks to guide my energy. Do take breaks if you need to, though.

Additionally, don't overwhelm yourself with tons of videos to work on at once. That, for sure, will put you into self-doubt mode -- especially if you are not used to the workload.

I've personally been going through something similar to this where I did want to upload but I just didn't have the motivation to do it anymore. Where I would tell myself to write scripts on Monday and wouldn't get to it until Thursday night (the night before I shoot my videos). Then while shooting videos I'd just be thinking about how much longer it was going to take and be a little too relieved when I was done. Then I'd wait hours to finally get around to editing it which would leave me up into the wee hours of the morning finishing so I could upload Saturday.

I wanted to be doing YouTube things, but oddly enough I HATED doing them.

Then a light bulb went off and I realized something. As I sat at my computer filling in job applications trying desperately to find a new day job, I realized I felt the exact same way about finding a job as I did YouTube. I realized that I was treating YouTube as a Job and not as something I actually enjoyed doing. I was treating something I literally make no money from, doesn't give me benefits, and something I literally only do in my free time as something much more than it is and I was taking it a little too seriously.

I took a week off, reevaluated my channel, and now that I was able to pinpoint why doing YouTube was such a pain in the a** for me I'm now able to have fun doing it again. I think what it was for me, and maybe for you, is you may just be thinking so much into what kind of content you want to do, and not seeing the outcome that you want to see, that it's starting to jade your perception of yourself and your channel.

Like everyone else said, time always helps, take a week or two off if you need to. And my input would be to start thinking back to why you originally started YouTube and to start making what you're doing FUN again. Hope you're able to get out of your rut, doing things you love can be more stressful than doing things you don't sometimes lol:xdblush:

Back