Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably hard to make a lot of money from crowd funding unless you already have a large following (twitter etc) or you get some publicity or shares from people. That's only my experience though, you might get $800 like that! :D

I crowdfunded a play that I took to a festival (for $10,000). It was a tremendous amount of work, but I have a huge base of people I know from theater, from my old blogging days, and from social media, so every contribution was from a person I knew. I think these days, crowdfunding is more of a way to get donations from friends, family, and contacts than to get money from people you don't know. The market is just so saturated with requests that the days of easy crowdfunding are over.

Crowdfunding a personal item for yourself is practically impossible.

If you have a fanbase big enough to accomplish that, you should already have plenty of spare cash to spend to improve the quality of you content.

Crowdfunding without a following is for large elaborate projects nowadays, typically a product, like a video game, board game, book, etc.And you need enough "demo" material already existing to convince people the end product will be awesome and that it's feasible.

You won't crowdfund a camera lens unless you get your friends and family to chip in, in which case using an online site to do it seems silly since they take a fraction of the cut and you could probably just ask people personally for donations.

I feel like crowdfunding is only really effective if you already have a lot of followers on your social media or subscribers on Youtube. If you only have like 50 subscribers on your channel, unless some of them are friends and family, you probably won't get too many donations.

Ask yourself this. Why would other's help you buy a lens? Most crowdfunded projects are done because the people contributing will get something back. Be it better quality from someone they love, a new game, money to a great cause, etc. If your new lens in some way isn't helping your viewers , better view your content, what is the point? I'm a DSLR user myself, and expensive lenses do not equate to better video quality. I have an expensive macro lens that's video quality is on par with a standard 18-55 kit lens. I apologize if my post sounds harsh but you gotta let your viewers know what they will benefit from supporting you. If i'm a game channel, and I crowd fund for a new car, how does that help my viewer's? What will they get from it? Crowd funding can for sure be successful but you can't just expect because you have viewers they should help you finance anything you want.

Reactions: RBG
Ask yourself this. Why would other's help you buy a lens? Most crowdfunded projects are done because the people contributing will get something back. Be it better quality from someone they love, a new game, money to a great cause, etc. If your new lens in some way isn't helping your viewers , better view your content, what is the point? I'm a DSLR user myself, and expensive lenses do not equate to better video quality. I have an expensive macro lens that's video quality is on par with a standard 18-55 kit lens. I apologize if my post sounds harsh but you gotta let your viewers know what they will benefit from supporting you. If i'm a game channel, and I crowd fund for a new car, how does that help my viewer's? What will they get from it? Crowd funding can for sure be successful but you can't just expect because you have viewers they should help you finance anything you want.
It doesn't sound harsh at all. And I agree with you completely. If there's no reason for them to be helping you buy something other than you just "want it", they aren't going to buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back