Creative Commons License

Kenyanese

Reaction score
I received a copyright strike for reuploading a video whose owner had uploaded under Creative Commons License. I begged the holder through email to retract to no avail. That was from last week on 29th of Dec. so today I decided to check on the content owner video and found it had been uploaded under CCL.

I have filed a counter notification arguing the strike was erroneous because the owners permitted Youtube community to share and even edit the video.

According to Youtube help

By marking your original video with a Creative Commons license, you are granting the entire YouTube community the right to reuse and edit that video.

Is this a valid ground for appealing a strike?

Last edited:

CousinEd

There's always a choice
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Did you put credits in your channel description? According to YT, they use CC-BY license.

"This license lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation. This is the most accommodating of licenses offered. Recommended for maximum dissemination and use of licensed materials."

Sources - support .google.com/youtube/answer/2797468?hl=en and creativecommons. org/licenses/

Kenyanese

Reaction score
Did you put credits in your channel description? According to YT, they use CC-BY license.

"This license lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation. This is the most accommodating of licenses offered. Recommended for maximum dissemination and use of licensed materials."

Sources - support .google.com/youtube/answer/2797468?hl=en and creativecommons. org/licenses/
Yes I did, and on top of that I pasted a url to their site because the video was accompanied by an article

I always give full credits

cbpayne

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
There have been many cases that videos available under the CCL were not entitled to be uploaded under that; ie the uploader had no right to some/all of the content in the video.

Who is making the copyright claim? The uploader? or someone else?

Kenyanese

Reaction score
There have been many cases that videos available under the CCL were not entitled to be uploaded under that; ie the uploader had no right to some/all of the content in the video.

Who is making the copyright claim? The uploader? or someone else?
I understand that bit. A bad CCL won’t save you form a strike. But in this case it is the content owner who uploaded the video under CCL and gave me a copyright strike.

I have filed two defective counter notifications, hope my third one is ok. They keep saying it lacks some necessary elements of a counter. I figured I was using two urls in the message box instead of just one, the struck down video[DOUBLEPOST=1515654895,1515570118][/DOUBLEPOST]At last my counter notification has been forwarded to the claimant/content owner.

Lock

$$$
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
uh?? Isn't a URL to the original source good enough??
Recently i uploaded a video where the original owner posted this in their description ..

⚠Disclaimer: Monetization is disabled.
Companies that claim rights to my videos are entitled to the monetisations and will earn a profit from my videos if they decide to monetize them. This is not my decision. If you want the video removed, I'd appreciate if you request the video to be globally blocked or muted, since it's hassle to deal with copyright strikes.

Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.

Licence type
Standard YouTube Licence

What else do i need to do??
Post the youtube link?
Anything else ?
BTW i uploaded it on my channel which monetisation was disabled years ago....for me to test youtube regulations and etc etc before i use the strategies on my other SEPARATE google account /laptop/youtube channel

To be honest i didn't even post any reference of any sort at all..

Can anyone advise me please ?