Creating Effective Thumbnails

MedTerms

Liking YTtalk
What makes a thumbnail effective? Specifically, if you observe that using a particular image gets more clicks, how can you use that information to improve thumbnails fo other videos? This seems a little tricky because you don't want to use an image that's not related to a specific video, so do you incorporate it into some kind of template to use across your channel? I'd be interested to know what others do.

I would recommend for you to check Derral Eves video on thumbnails. He has video where guy from Team Edge (over 2 million subs and he also has one of the best thumbnails out there) talks about making really clickable thumbnails. It is a little bit longer video but it's worth of watching.

I would recommend for you to check Derral Eves video on thumbnails. He has video where guy from Team Edge (over 2 million subs and he also has one of the best thumbnails out there) talks about making really clickable thumbnails. It is a little bit longer video but it's worth of watching.

Thanks. Will check it out.

I try to keep my thumbnails in a way that users can see at a glance what the video is about (at least if they know my channel and what types of content to expect).
No "magic bullet" though as my views/click thru rates are horrible (except for one single video that got over a thousand views in two days), still working on improving my thumbnail graphics quality.

I think the most honest act is that the thumbnail follows the quality of the video itself. What is the reason to make a killer thumb in photoshop or similar and people click with more expectations than i can fullfil? So i usually pause a frame i like and only edit it,s color a bit or crop also a bit. I have also tried putting text on some thumbnails i thought i wanted to give some more info on a glance. For me nothing worked so this is not really an advice! :p :)

I think the most honest act is that the thumbnail follows the quality of the video itself. What is the reason to make a killer thumb in photoshop or similar and people click with more expectations than i can fullfil? So i usually pause a frame i like and only edit it,s color a bit or crop also a bit. I have also tried putting text on some thumbnails i thought i wanted to give some more info on a glance. For me nothing worked so this is not really an advice! :p :)

Appreciate the honesty. I've been wondering how much difference all of that really makes.

What makes a thumbnail effective? Specifically, if you observe that using a particular image gets more clicks, how can you use that information to improve thumbnails fo other videos? This seems a little tricky because you don't want to use an image that's not related to a specific video, so do you incorporate it into some kind of template to use across your channel? I'd be interested to know what others do.
I would say bright text and I really clear picture that's what I do also try to use a drop shadow and outer glow I do that a lot you can also put your channel on your thumbnail I have started to do that a lot myself

If you are going to have text make sure that there isn't too much of it, and make sure that the text can still be easily read when the thumbnail is very small. Also make sure that the image that you have behind the text is one that is enticing and is not just some generic image that somehow relates to the content, also make sure that it is an accurate image to what your content is. Finally, make sure that the subject in the image is clear, in focus and is nice and close to the camera.

Your channel link isn't working so I can't give any specific feedback on your thumbnails but those are some good general guidelines to follow.

Back