Creating a "network"

Hello, I am a brand and YouTube channel consultant, and I've been thinking of starting a network of sorts. It wouldn't be considered a MCN as those are entities that have a direct relationship with YouTube, but my network would be more like a traditional consultancy relationship. The big difference would be that there would not be a revenue split between channels and the "network." It would be structured as a low monthly fee (like $5 starting out) that covers services such as brand development, editing and post-processing assistance, graphic art work, content strategy, channel optimization, and other things. The idea is that the more channels in the network, the more that can be provided for less then being on your own. My question to you is would you find this service valuable or what services would you find valuable? The goal of the network would be to achieve status as a MCN at some point once there are enough channels committed.

Without any evidence to back up your claims nobody will really take you seriously.

Do you have a website or any kind of port folio?

I feel like it would be a good idea, but I feel like you need to build a background first. Open a website and start these services for free to get some YouTubers in and what not go with it for awhile seen how it works out then you have people to back you up. This sounds like a good idea if it works out it would be something I'd be interested in but like the guy above said no one will take you serious you'll need to build a name & background for yourself.

Without any evidence to back up your claims nobody will really take you seriously.

Do you have a website or any kind of port folio?

I'm still in the planning phase for the website, but I have been in marketing for awhile. I've been developing marketing strategies for businesses as a consultant for a year maybe two even. It's all a blur. So I do have experience, but there isn't much of a "portfolio" per se as you can't really show off marketing campaigns that have been completed very well.[DOUBLEPOST=1496353650,1496353514][/DOUBLEPOST]
I feel like it would be a good idea, but I feel like you need to build a background first. Open a website and start these services for free to get some YouTubers in and what not go with it for awhile seen how it works out then you have people to back you up. This sounds like a good idea if it works out it would be something I'd be interested in but like the guy above said no one will take you serious you'll need to build a name & background for yourself.

I am actually contacting youtube channels for "sampling" work currently. I'm really just trying to get a feel for what services are useful. Most of what a traditional MCN brings from what I hear isn't actually beneficial, so I'm trying to find what is. I guess I won't really know until I start working with channels and coming up with plans with them.

I'm still in the planning phase for the website, but I have been in marketing for awhile. I've been developing marketing strategies for businesses as a consultant for a year maybe two even. It's all a blur. So I do have experience, but there isn't much of a "portfolio" per se as you can't really show off marketing campaigns that have been completed very well.

You can also try my suggestion then, build your website invite some YouTubers in free of charge let them in for a while build it up then you have people to vouche for you. Yeah each youtuber is different on the needs they need it will be hard to meet everyone's needs.

I think you're idea is brilliant and really different from the other MCN.It is truly nice to see another perspective to these MCN.A suggestion that you would give smaller youtubers a free sample because you will them and they will help you too.Its a win-win situation if you ask me.

My concern would be how you will provide everything you've mentioned for $5/month, or truthfully, for even $100/month. Those services are expensive to provide because they aren't able to be automated. They require YOU (or an employee) to physically produce the work you are advertising. You'd be hard pressed to provide those services to one YouTube channel for less than a few hundred bucks a month. Now, start adding multiple channels and soon you are swamped with work you've been SEVERELY underpaid for in the first instance.

It's a great idea, and might work, but you'd need to charge considerable fees to even break even for your time. That's why the ad revenue split method works. Because the network has incentive to actually live up to their end of the bargain. The better their member channels do, the more the network is compensated in return through ad revenue splits.

You'd need to seriously have a number-crunching session on how much a channel gets for their fee, what those fees will be, and how in the world you'll provide all of that to multiple channels for so little compensation.[DOUBLEPOST=1496773676,1496773205][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, just thinking aloud:

Without an ad-revenue split agreement handled by the network or YouTube, what stops me from joining your "network", getting all your services (branding, graphics, post processing and editing, channel optimization, etc) for two months, and then dumping you? You have no way to hold anyone to a contract so they can bleed you dry of services as they learn, dump you, and spend only a couple month's fees. (Presumably $10? $20?)

My concern would be how you will provide everything you've mentioned for $5/month, or truthfully, for even $100/month. Those services are expensive to provide because they aren't able to be automated. They require YOU (or an employee) to physically produce the work you are advertising. You'd be hard pressed to provide those services to one YouTube channel for less than a few hundred bucks a month. Now, start adding multiple channels and soon you are swamped with work you've been SEVERELY underpaid for in the first instance.

It's a great idea, and might work, but you'd need to charge considerable fees to even break even for your time. That's why the ad revenue split method works. Because the network has incentive to actually live up to their end of the bargain. The better their member channels do, the more the network is compensated in return through ad revenue splits.

You'd need to seriously have a number-crunching session on how much a channel gets for their fee, what those fees will be, and how in the world you'll provide all of that to multiple channels for so little compensation.[DOUBLEPOST=1496773676,1496773205][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, just thinking aloud:

Without an ad-revenue split agreement handled by the network or YouTube, what stops me from joining your "network", getting all your services (branding, graphics, post processing and editing, channel optimization, etc) for two months, and then dumping you? You have no way to hold anyone to a contract so they can bleed you dry of services as they learn, dump you, and spend only a couple month's fees. (Presumably $10? $20?)

Hey, I only said $5 as a starting place to gain clients. That would be very temporary as you are correct a traditional consultancy charges hundreds or thousands for these services. $5 is better than nothing considering it would likely need to be free in order to get the first few clients. Also, the idea is the more channels on board the less expensive it would be per channel. Some channels would require minimal work and others much more but they all pay the same. There would definitely be a contract to ensure people couldn't leave after a month. I was a legal student at one time, so I'm very creative in that department. Thanks for your opinions and concerns!

Back