CPU Temperature, a question for the techies...

Your stock cpu and fan should be enough for ur cpu unless ur overclocking it. Having such heat issues is as everyone already said not at all normal. Deff clean out the ur pc from the inside. dust collects on the blades of the fans, hides inside and nooks and crannies of heatsinks, collects and gathers on top of chips, cards, motherboard, and hard drives. Give it a nice cleaning and monitor ur temp afterwards.

Do tell us if u made any progress with this situation....

Did you ever check for your os? Its probably Windows7 or something similar. You mentioned that it goes around 80 Celsius in "stationary" ( that's called Idle btw :p ).
The thing is that modern CPUs have internal thermal control and safe mechanism, the thermal control is even in the form of controlling the frequency of each core, so if there is no 'load' on the PC thus the whole CPU is in idle most of the time then it would save power and pull down the heat to a normal level, it doesn't mean that it wont generate any heat at all but still reasonably low, like you and others said, around 40-50 Celsius. And even if you would take off the fan and just run it with only a heatsink it shouldn't go too high in idle. Giving some load, like rendering a video would definitely make the temperature rise much higher which again is totally normal. So what's the question here is that why it would heat up at all? Could be that it's already broken, or about the break completely or something is putting a load on the CPU from the operating system, like a virus or something that you unintentionally or intentionally set-up. It's worth checking out your CPU usage in idle, with Show Kernel Times ( assuming you are on windows ) then it would show the CPU usage the OS does and if that is really high ( 50-80% ) while the PC does nothing , there is something else in the background that's causing this. Finally, check out the 'System Idle Process' among processes, it should take up about 90-100% of the CPU time in idle ( opposed to real applications this means how much time the CPU is Idle, i.e. is doing nothing at all ).

OR you just need to clean out your PC :D

P.s. : I made a pic of my PC's idle , which is that you should consider average and okay. ( sorry about the Hungarian windows :p )
CPUTemp.jpg

If it's still 80C on idle right now. Don't ever make it load or else...it might burn the heck out of your cpu. Clean the fan and add a better thermal paste on the heatsink. Where did you see that temp? It might be because it has the defect sensor too.xD Anyway, 80C is too hot and I believe intel cpu will slow down when it's a bit hot so the temp will not go any higher.

FireyFly
B4Astudios

I managed to clean out all the dust and grime from the fan and heatsink, as a matter of fact I cleaned the whole inside of my machine thoroughly and applied a new layer of thermal paste between the CPU and the heatsink, but despite all this the temperature has not gone down whatsoever! I have to admit my CPU is kind of old, somewhere in the 8-10 years range. Can age have a noticeable effect on performance? If so, do you recommend I buy a new CPU?

It's an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550.

Back