Considering replacing my mac with a pc?

I'm new to video editing but it sounds like a popular photography topic that's floated around for years .. People advise moving to Adobe Lightroom because Aperture never updates and they're probably going to turn it into a glorified iPhoto and quit the professional software business completely. However, when it comes down to raw tech specs in all the updates .. Aperture actually showing more signs of progress and with bigger improvements over Adobe. The only difference is that they don't "market" it as a full shiny new version. Shoot the latest ground shaking version of Lightroom was basically just stuff I'd already been doing in Aperture forever.
If it was me, I would be more comfortable getting a PC and seeing first hand which way I wanted to go and then if PC was the way .. get rid of my existing system. I dont think I'd just switch and then hope it works out.

I am both a PC (Windows XP) and Mac user and I consider myself to be a power user for both. Operating system isn't the entire picture; you need to look at the hardware (processor, ram, graphics card, etc). Adobe supports both PC and Mac.

This is my bottomline opinion for both systems, you are free to disagree/agree since it is entirely subjective:
- PC : cheaper, more variety (you can find something you like OR entirely hate) which leads to annoying software updates (to fix a certain software-hardware configuration that may not pertain to you). If you can look past that, then I'd go for it.
- MAC: expensive, "standardized hardware" (very little variety) which leads to more stable software releases. They also tend to have a higher resale value when compared to PC. I have a Mac just because I develop on a PC all day so I don't feel like I'm at work when I'm on my computer at home.

The open-sourced world is so appealing to me. I'd love to see where Linux developers can take it! I'm actually taking my old college lappy, gutting the OS, and installing Ubuntu (YAYYY)

Have you used Window 8? ;)

I would get Adobe software for the Mac. Microsoft seems to have taken a detour with Windows 8... I think they're trying to topple their previous record for the worlds least useful operating system that they achieved with Windows 3.0.

I run both Windows and OSX and I can say unequivocally that OSX is a vastly superior OS on multiple levels.

For gaming, Windows. For work, OSX.

But I realize this post may spark an OS war, which is not my intention. This is merely one mans opinion and it's worth exactly what you paid for it. :)

Hey everyone
My Dad and I both think that Adobe is the way forward as appose to Final Cut, so we were considering replacing my mac with a pc.
But we weren't sure, so I thought I'd ask YTT :)
Is it a good idea to scrap the apple computer?
Obv. Mac is horrible when we talk about software

I use a pc with power director as the editing software...much more cheap than some other editing programs...better looking and does all the general things...may not cover all your needs if you do a lot of different types of editing

Back