Condenser Microphone Whining Noise with Phantom Power?

Micard

Hello hello there, gurus!

I wonder if anyone has ever come across the microphone whining issue? I have a BM-800 condenser microphone with a NW-100 Phantom Power (48V). Whenever I plug the microphone in through the power unit (XLR), it induces a really high-frequency whining noise. On the other hand, whenever I plug the microphone in straight into my Audio Card through the 3.5 mm port (5V) - it's fine. Quiet, but no such noise.

Weird. Anyone has any clue as to why this could be? I did a lotta google searching but wasn't able to understand. Obviously, that high voltage amplification inserts the noise, but that's so weird for a condenser microphone, especially, that after reading reviews - it does require the phantom power supply... Hmmm.

I haven't had the same issue (I use the Rode NTG2 Condenser microphone) when using my microphone with the XLR cable and phantom power. But from re-reading why yours is making the noise my best guess would be the cable. If it's not making noise with the 3.5mm stereo jack but is with the XLR cord then perhaps it's the cord. If you have a spare I'd try that and see if that might be your issue. Hope that helps.

I haven't had the same issue (I use the Rode NTG2 Condenser microphone) when using my microphone with the XLR cable and phantom power. But from re-reading why yours is making the noise my best guess would be the cable. If it's not making noise with the 3.5mm stereo jack but is with the XLR cord then perhaps it's the cord. If you have a spare I'd try that and see if that might be your issue. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the reply! But nah, I highly doubt that's the cable. The four times the Voltage is definitely what's goofing it up, just no idea why. I will try to reach out to the Newerr devs and ask them, but I doubt I'll get a sensible answer. Hmm.

Hello hello there, gurus!

I wonder if anyone has ever come across the microphone whining issue? I have a BM-800 condenser microphone with a NW-100 Phantom Power (48V). Whenever I plug the microphone in through the power unit (XLR), it induces a really high-frequency whining noise. On the other hand, whenever I plug the microphone in straight into my Audio Card through the 3.5 mm port (5V) - it's fine. Quiet, but no such noise.

Weird. Anyone has any clue as to why this could be? I did a lotta google searching but wasn't able to understand. Obviously, that high voltage amplification inserts the noise, but that's so weird for a condenser microphone, especially, that after reading reviews - it does require the phantom power supply... Hmmm.

Is there a way to turn the phantom power on your audio interface off? I too have two condenser mics. One requires 48v Phantom Power the other doesn't. If I'm using the one that doesn't need it but still have the 48v phantom power on my interface running it will create disturbance with my mic.

Back