Computer Broken Headphone Jack

CoolMoo5

I Love YTtalk
For the past few months the headphone jack on my laptop computer broke. Basically the jack itself looks fine and you can still plug headphones it, but when I do that nothing happens and the sound comes out the speakers instead. I have tried multiple pairs of headphones and none of them work with my laptop but they work with other devices. I have just been dealing with it the last few months, by using the speakers and wireless headphones for sound. But now that I started making YouTube videos with voice-overs and stuff, it would be really helpful if I had a working headphone jack on my computer. So if anyone has any resources or tips on how to fix a headphone jack that would be great. And I don't want to pay a lot of money for this either. Thanks!

the only way you can fix the jack is by replacing it. but an easy fix would be to use a USB connected headset. or you can get a headphone jack to usb converter. pretty affordable and an easy work around. hope this helps!

the only way you can fix the jack is by replacing it. but an easy fix would be to use a USB connected headset. or you can get a headphone jack to usb converter. pretty affordable and an easy work around. hope this helps!

Thanks! I never thought of the usb idea I'll look into it. And I get that I could replace the jack but I don't know how to do that, or where to start.

Are your audio configurations set DEFAULT???
Sometimes the settings are mistakenly changed, so you've figure out at control panel/devices and sound
Set everything DEFAULT :D

Are your audio configurations set DEFAULT???
Sometimes the settings are mistakenly changed, so you've figure out at control panel/devices and sound
Set everything DEFAULT :D

I've checked like every setting and plugged in seven different pairs of headphones ranging from dollar store earbuds to beats headphones. And actually right before it stopped working the jack started acting all screwy, the sound kept going in and out, and then all of a sudden it just stopped working. Unless there is some setting I don't know about, I'm pretty sure it is the jack.

It happened to me few times, but I went into sound configurations, all I did was to CHECK the following box! When I insert something in Jack, computer asks if its a MIC or HEADPHONES
dell audio.jpg

If it happens not to be the settings, it might be a bad solder joint. You could get a multimeter to see if your getting a signal on the board right before the jack. Reflowing the solder shouldn't be a too big of a deal if you have done that kind of stuff in the past. Opening up laptops may not be very fun to do.

If it's a Dell, you can check to see if it's still under warranty.

Back