Commenting on other videos - Is it spam?

I used to post genuine comments on wrestling videos, giving my thoughts about the match or the wrestlers competing in the match, and I usually ended up getting top comment, even if it was only for a few days. I'm sure that made people check out my channel, because if they see this well thought out, well written comment about wrestlers, they'll want to see what I'm all about. That's how commenting should work.

Not just blatant advertisement or telling people to check out your channel. What everybody should aim for is trying to intrigue people with your comments, and make them want to see what you're all about on your channel.

There's one guy I know who has no videos on his channel, at all. Yet he posts quality comments all over wrestling videos on YouTube, and now the IWC (Internet Wrestling Community. We're a sad bunch) knows exactly who he is, and he has acquired something like 400 subscribers just from that.

Quality comments work, my friends.

I consider it spam if it is obvious that it has been posted to try and gain something out of it. It is the same here at YTtalk, we consider it promotion/spam when its obvious the post has been posted to gain something. It can help by posting on their videos if you have something to say about their video, make it about them and their video and not about yourself or your videos :)

Yeah, again, essentially what I do and then at the end, I say that I have a channel but I say it in a really polite and respectful manner, , such as suggesting that I should play that game on my channel, or that the uploader may enjoy some of my videos if I find they have a similar style.

Yeah, again, essentially what I do and then at the end, I say that I have a channel but I say it in a really polite and respectful manner, , such as suggesting that I should play that game on my channel, or that the uploader may enjoy some of my videos if I find they have a similar style.

That's what I usually do also and it worked:)

Thanks guys! I do usually comment on other videos just about the video, but I didn't really think advertising my channel would be a good idea. Thanks for backing it up! :)

I would definitely comment on other videos, thats what the whole point of youtube is really, interaction and being social. Now, promoting your channel can be done but you just gotta be genuine and really care about others content as well. Watch the video, bring up a point ask a question, and if you leave a great comment, if you mention hey im doing something similar on my channel or hey can you give me some advice, no ones going to really care. I for one love it when someone comments on my video and I'd be glad to help them out if they asked nicely and left some value on my vid, think Win-Win. I know some of the larger channels might not like it but the smaller youtubers love comments.

This is the reason I'm tempted to ban one of my subs. He leaves a comment every now and then on one of my videos advertising his own, albeit it is similar content it's just shameless plugins nonetheless.

It really does depend on the commenting, if you make witty comments that people will tend to thumbs up, then you might get the odd curiosity click from that, flat out asking for people to check you out is very spammish though.

Back