Commentary tips

Sworty

I've Got It
So I am struggling with my commentary for my video's and possibly a lot of you out there struggling or struggled with commentary so post your tip for this problem I am gonna be really thankful if you do. And I hope this is gonna help not just me but other one's out there ho need help :)

you know what the best tip is? just do it haha. You only get better over time and commentary is just something you have to practice to get used to it, there isnt a single tip that makes you great at it, like anything you just need practice.

A lot of it comes with practice but one tip I've found is not to worry about making mistakes, you are human it is going to happen and unless you are reading off a script its unlikely you are going to get everything down perfectly so don't worry to much about it. Another thing is watch your energy its very easy to slip into a monotone when you are commentating so do your best to keep your energy up while you commentate! :)

you know what the best tip is? just do it haha. You only get better over time and commentary is just something you have to practice to get used to it, there isnt a single tip that makes you great at it, like anything you just need practice.
wow that a good tip thanks![DOUBLEPOST=1458587979,1458587816][/DOUBLEPOST]
A lot of it comes with practice but one tip I've found is not to worry about making mistakes, you are human it is going to happen and unless you are reading off a script its unlikely you are going to get everything down perfectly so don't worry to much about it. Another thing is watch your energy its very easy to slip into a monotone when you are commentating so do your best to keep your energy up while you commentate! :)
never really thought about the energy in my commentary thanks!

Happy to help out mate, good luck with improving your commentary its a pain to do at first but once you get the hang of it, you don't even have to really think about it anymore :)

Some solid tips I can offer are as follows.

Prepare some topics before you start recording of what your going to be talking about.
Be calm and natural about how you speak.
Avoid blanks and phases of silence.
Choose whether or not you want post or live commentary.

It took me about a month to be comfortable hearing myself and not wanting to puke. I have gotten much more comfortable. Once you start getting positive comments and feedback your confidence will soar and you will be a regular radio host.

Like many others already said, practice gets you a long way. Sometimes when I just play games without recording I commentate like it was video. I have even found myself walking around in the house or making food while commentating. So you can practice it everywhere, doesn't have to be just when you making a video.

I've only just recently started and I find that when I play a game I like I find it much easier to commentate. Especially if it's a competitive game (FPS, Sports, MMO things of that nature).

I still cringe when I hear my own voice but I guess that takes time to get used to though.

honestly, be yourself.

just, say what's on your mind. if a villain in a game is ******* you off, don't be afraid to rage a little bit.

for example, popular gamer DashieGames gets upset at games he plays cause he stinks at them.

or, you can also just learn how to make conversation. say things like, "I hope you all are doing well today." Talking about your day can be great to do as well, so your viewers can learn about you. Saying silly jokes or pop cultural related things as well (i.e. - damnnn daniel) things like that are pretty funny to people.

but most of all, you shouldn't push it cause then it'll seem forced and people may notice that kind of thing.

Back