Comedy Ideas!

With gaming comedy, virtually everything has been done, so coming up with the "hot" and "new" thing might not the best question to ask. However, what I would like to know is while watching a gaming/comedy video, what are some things that strike you (as the viewers) attention to want more of whatever the Youtuber is delivering. If it happened to be a Fail-tage or maybe a Let's Play with just hilarious commentary. What makes you stay and keep on watching the video?

Let me Know what you think!

The problem with gaming videos is that most of the time people aren´t watching them for you, but for the game itself. It doesn´t matter who is talking about the game.

I doubt the reason anyone sticks with a particularly Gamer has much to do with how funny or unfunny he is.

I generally like to hear someone talking in an eloquent way about videogames. Your remarks have to be relevant and informative to the viewer.

People who search for videogames aren´t usually looking for comedy or to get to know someone else´s personality. They´re looking for information delivered in an effective way. They either want to see how a particular game looks, or hear somone else´s opinion about it.

Being funny doesn´t hurt, but nobody can teach how to be funny. That comes from you. And the next "hot" thing in video games doesn´t exist. Anything that could possibly be hot about videogames is already being delivered: Gameplays, reviews, generic game talk, etc. These are things that people are actually looking for. This is what they want, and this is what they´re already getting.

The problem with gaming videos is that most of the time people aren´t watching them for you, but for the game itself. It doesn´t matter who is talking about the game.

I doubt the reason anyone sticks with a particularly Gamer has much to do with how funny or unfunny he is.

I generally like to hear someone talking in an eloquent way about videogames. Your remarks have to be relevant and informative to the viewer.

People who search for videogames aren´t usually looking for comedy or to get to know someone else´s personality. They´re looking for information delivered in an effective way. They either want to see how a particular game looks, or hear somone else´s opinion about it.

Being funny doesn´t hurt, but nobody can teach how to be funny. That comes from you. And the next "hot" thing in video games doesn´t exist. Anything that could possibly be hot about videogames is already being delivered: Gameplays, reviews, generic game talk, etc. These are things that people are actually looking for. This is what they want, and this is what they´re already getting.

Disagree, think outside the box. Like I said before, gaming channels are boring as hell to me because I don't game but will watch them if the "personality" of the person playing is interesting/funny/entertaining. The only reason non gamers who wouldn't ever watch gaming channels know Pewdiepie / Markaplier / whoever the hell that Scottish guys is (I don't even remember his name, or what the hell he plays, but I remember him) is because they have personality and have transcended their "gaming" audience into a bigger audience. It depends on what you want. If you want Gameplays, reviews, generic game talk seeking audiences well then do that... but I say be yourself, think outside the box, breakdown walls... don't try to emulate something else... plus I do believe there is something "Hot" and "New" to be discovered in these gaming channels... there so damn many of them, and yeah, many of them are just boring a** copies and Pewdiepie wannabes.... but somebody is eventually going to find more entertaining ways to deliver video game channels in a new and exciting way.... and those people are going to be big. Party on Garth and Party on Wayne.

Disagree, think outside the box. Like I said before, gaming channels are boring as hell to me because I don't game but will watch them if the "personality" of the person playing is interesting/funny/entertaining. The only reason non gamers who wouldn't ever watch gaming channels know Pewdiepie / Markaplier / whoever the hell that Scottish guys is (I don't even remember his name, or what the hell he plays, but I remember him) is because they have personality and have transcended their "gaming" audience into a bigger audience. It depends on what you want. If you want Gameplays, reviews, generic game talk seeking audiences well then do that... but I say be yourself, think outside the box, breakdown walls... don't try to emulate something else... plus I do believe there is something "Hot" and "New" to be discovered in these gaming channels... there so damn many of them, and yeah, many of them are just boring a** copies and Pewdiepie wannabes.... but somebody is eventually going to find more entertaining ways to deliver video game channels in a new and exciting way.... and those people are going to be big. Party on Garth and Party on Wayne.

I´m sorry, but i´ve never seen any kind of evidence that there is actually a good amount of people who watch video game videos and don´t care about video games. If you watch video game videos, you like video games, even if you don´t usually play them, like me. You might be an exception, but that´s it. Anyone who watches a film review without liking movies is a hell of an exception too.

Of course you should always try to be original, but never forgetting what people actually wanna watch when they search for a videogame gameplay. They have video games in mind. They don´t have your personality in mind, or comedy in mind. The best way to keep people watching your videos is offering them what they were looking for in the first place.

If you can combine a great personality with the information people wanna have access to, then great. But don´t think there´s actually that many people out there who want to watch a gaming channel because of the gamer´s humour. Games come first, almost always, and that´s what you have to deliver. You have to play, you have to talk about games, you have to give people what they´re searching for.

It´s very easy to say "think outside the box". Are you thinking outside the box? Are you doing something that other people haven´t already done?

And what would it mean to "think outside the box" in a video game channel? There´s only so much you can do with the subject. You can talk about it, you can play it, you can make tournaments with commentary, you can crack jokes about what you´re playing, you can teach people how to go through levels, you can talk about gaming news, you can talk about gaming history, but that´s pretty much it. What else can you do? Wipe your a** with with game cards? I suppose you could do that, but i just don´t see many people wanting to see it. There´s no limit for what you can do, but there´s certainly a limit for what people want to watch.

Last edited:
I´m sorry, but i´ve never seen any kind of evidence that there is actually a good amount of people who watch video game videos and don´t care about video games. If you watch video game videos, you like video games, even if you don´t usually play them, like me. You might be an exception, but that´s it. Anyone who watches a film review without liking movies is a hell of an exception too.

Of course you should always try to be original, but never forgetting what people actually wanna watch when they search for a videogame gameplay. They have video games in mind. They don´t have your personality in mind, or comedy in mind. The best way to keep people watching your videos is offering them what they were looking for in the first place.

If you can combine a great personality with the information people wanna have access to, then great. But don´t think there´s actually that many people out there who want to watch a gaming channel because of the gamer´s humour. Games come first, almost always, and that´s what you have to deliver. You have to play, you have to talk about games, you have to give people what they´re searching for.

It´s very easy to say "think outside the box". Are you thinking outside the box? Are you doing something that other people haven´t already done?

And what would it mean to "think outside the box" in a video game channel? There´s only so much you can do with the subject. You can talk about it, you can play it, you can make tournaments with commentary, you can crack jokes about what you´re playing, you can teach people how to go through levels, you can talk about gaming news, you can talk about gaming history, but that´s pretty much it. What else can you do? Wipe your a** with with game cartilages? I suppose you could do that, but i just don´t see many people wanting to see it. There´s no limit for what you can do, but there´s certainly a limit for what people want to watch.

Encourage people to do it differently, I would rather watch someone wipe their a** with a game cartridge than watch another boring 'lets play' of that bread game ;) What about Angry Video Game Nerd? What the hell ever happened to that style of a gaming channel??? Take that concept and make it your own. That's a game channel that everyone would watch. Everyone loved AVGN, just do a similar channel that adds a story/skit and style of your own with your game play.... there is other ways to do it, dude. Or be like every other game channel like ol' master splinter suggests. Think outside the box, winky face ;)

One thing I dislike with gaming comedy videos. I watched one yesterday which was a montage of short mario sketches. I found none of it funny because they overplayed the sound effects so much it just destroyed it. One bit mario was punch through a wall and he kepts going waaaahhhh, Luigi, luigi, uh oh. then he randomly popped his head back through and started screaming loudly........it was nothing but annoying.

As Morphius would say:
"Stop trying to be funny, and be funny!!".......or something like that lol =-p

I'm a sucker for composed sarcasm. What isn't funny to me is the stuff that feels like it's 15 minutes of unscripted rambling with one or two good moments in there somewhere. I'm just not up for wading through it. I'll give a video a shot if the person demonstrates that they've thought through their tone and comedic style right off the bat. Another way to put it would be this: If the content creator is clearly putting forth effort, the viewer is more likely to put forth the effort to give it a chance.
So I guess that's a long way of saying: Plan.

Back