Collaborating - The Right and Wrong Way?

Is it better to collaborate with people...

• Total voters
I have yet to have the opportunity since the last one I did eventually took down the others person channel for associating with my controversial ways.

I kind of see it in the middle. I may be an animation channel but I'd gladly collab with a music one for background music, or a gaming channel by making them an intro, etc. Heck I'd love if a makeup or fashion channel did a tutorial on my characters like dope211's video for Inside Out. I'm open to just about anything that can still intercede in some way (although art genres kind of lend themselves toward that anyhow).

I think collaborating with different genre channels is fine but you're likely to get better results "within your niche." Especially when your channel is small. If your channel has a big following already, it can only benefit you to go after audiences outside of what you're used to.

If a gaming channel collaborates with VLOG channel, it won't work well. So does the BEAUTY CHANNEL, the channel should collab with the one of their NICHE :)

Uhhhh.. I mean, this is a really interesting discussion, and I agree that there is no right or wrong. How could there be! No one decides/ has written the laws of collabing so as a result there can be no correct way to go about it. With that being said, I think that I would rather collab with people outside of my niche. Why?
Because if I were to collab with someone outside of my niche, I feel that it would be a more boring experience than the former, and I would learn more about that person/groups niche.
Take myself, for example. I would say I am predominantly a vlogger, but I have one or two other videos that reach out to different niches. I would love to make a video with someone who does, say, gaming videos or life tips etc. I think that I would broaden my horizons in terms of:
a) What I find interesting/ consolidate what I know I don't like
b) Give my (few) subscribers different content to keep them interested (AND if they don't like it, they would tell me/I would see a drop in viewer engagement etc.) and;
c) Give my channel / person more exposure in the YouTube community. It would be pretty boring (dare I say pointless) to just be known by a specific brand of people, even if they are your target demographic. The way I see it, Youtube is better when you try new things, meet new people and explore different aspects of your videos and personality that you never dreamed you would be able to discover

Personally, I'd say try to mix it up every now and then. I have a few friends who have channels, and I'm hoping to build up all our channels collectively in a fashion. We all do slightly different things, but some similar things too. I think it's important to just do different stuff with other YouTubers because a lot of viewers subscribe more for the host than the content, and would be happy seeing the channel owner doing almost anything, obviously within reason.

Back