Claim released due to fair use

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
I get a fair amount of Content-ID claims where they either monetize the video or give me the option of sharing the ad revenue with them. I've recently decided to dispute every one since it can't hurt. If they release it or forget, then all the better, and if they reject it, I'm no worse off than I was before. Plus I believe they are likely fair use anyway. I do a sort of remix of music videos and TV show theme songs for the most part. I use the entire song, so that hurts my position, but I believe they are transformative and it doesn't hurt the market for the original.

Anyway, one of them was the music video "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt. I disputed the claim and gave my brief fair use reason last week and today I just got an email saying they released it. I was surprised because every dispute that hasn't reached the 30-day limit has been rejected so far. I don't remember which organization it said put the claim on it, but I certainly wasn't expecting someone to release a claim just because someone said it was fair use. I guess they're not all bad.

Thats great, but consider yourself lucky lol.
And for the record, you can be off worse when disputing it. A 3rd party claim can be turned into a copyright strike by the claiming company as "punishment" for disputing their rights to the content.

Thats great, but consider yourself lucky lol.
And for the record, you can be off worse when disputing it. A 3rd party claim can be turned into a copyright strike by the claiming company as "punishment" for disputing their rights to the content.
Thanks. And of course, but they can change their mind anytime they like. They could issue a takedown request even if I don't do anything at all. And if my videos are indeed fair use, I have just as much right to use it as they do.

Back