Canon T3i help (HD Recording)

Wrice4

Tweet me @Wrice4
Hey guys, I just upgrade my Canon SX50 HS to a a Canon T3i camera with the kit lens, 18-55mm. I formatted the sd card, in the camera, and installed magic lantern + nightly build. My video settings currently are 1920X1080 @ 30fps. I am using a Scandisk Class 10 SDHC 32gb 30mb/s write speed; however, I just tried recording my first video and it shut off at 3 minutes and 30 seconds, saying the stopped recording automatically.

What are the best settings to record a vlog/video to have the best possible quality and to make it where my video(s) don't stop recording under 5 minutes of use? This is my first dslr so I am still learning and trying to figure this situation out on my own, but need some help with this.

P.S. I started a review channel, for youtube, and sit about 2 ft away from the camera. If I left anything out please let me know so I can tell you more.

I had a similar issue and I believe it was the memory card I was using. I think the issue was that my memory card couldn't process the data being stored on it as fast as I was recording, or that's what I took away from the articles I read up on. Honestly I don't have the biggest understanding of what happened, I just know I switched memory cards to a higher GB and things worked out much better.

I had a similar issue and I believe it was the memory card I was using. I think the issue was that my memory card couldn't process the data being stored on it as fast as I was recording, or that's what I took away from the articles I read up on. Honestly I don't have the biggest understanding of what happened, I just know I switched memory cards to a higher GB and things worked out much better.
Ya I'm just confused because the manual says it recommends a class 6 or higher, which I have a class 10. Plus if I have read correctly the t3i only writes at a max of like 24mb/s and mine is 30mb/s, so idk. I can try a new card but figured I was over the recommended specs.

Try googling the exact error and see if there's any work arounds, that's odd. Maybe it has to do with Magic Lantern, did you try recording some footage before adding that on?

Try googling the exact error and see if there's any work arounds, that's odd. Maybe it has to do with Magic Lantern, did you try recording some footage before adding that on?
I have not, maybe I should try it.[DOUBLEPOST=1445839795,1445833862][/DOUBLEPOST]I have read up on this issue I am having. Seems like the 600D is limited to write speeds of 21mb/s so any SD Card write speed over that is fine, as it can not go any higher. Also, Shooting RAW video, with the t3i, can be the problem, as I should probably stick to just the L setting, but im not so sure. Still more researching to do.

Edit: The RAW video resolution was my problem, I think, but I have not tested it out. I have to bring down the resolution to 960x640 at 24fps, in order for the t3i to record in RAW.

Last edited:
I have not, maybe I should try it.[DOUBLEPOST=1445839795,1445833862][/DOUBLEPOST]I have read up on this issue I am having. Seems like the 600D is limited to write speeds of 21mb/s so any SD Card write speed over that is fine, as it can not go any higher. Also, Shooting RAW video, with the t3i, can be the problem, as I should probably stick to just the L setting, but im not so sure. Still more researching to do.

Edit: The RAW video resolution was my problem, I think, but I have not tested it out. I have to bring down the resolution to 960x640 at 24fps, in order for the t3i to record in RAW.
I was going to ask if you were shooting in RAW, but I knew I had a similar issue and I haven't even tried shooting in RAW yet. Happy things worked out though! :D

Back