Can you film in areas where copyrighted music is playing?

EVIL Humor

Liking YTtalk
Can copyrighted music be in your monetized Youtube video if it's very distorted by the mic and just playing for 30-60 seconds? It's obviously accidently picked up and not related to the video. What are the limits of what is allowed?

If it's not the main focus of your video then from what I understand it's considered incidental and you should be okay. It's a situation that is based on common sense more than anything, if your video would've been the same had the music not been playing there isn't really a cause for complaint.

EDIT: Just seen it's a monetized video, that might complicate things!

If I try it and get a complaint, would I risk my Adsense account (no previous incidents) to get closed permanently? Or do you get some kind of a first warning?

If I try it and get a complaint, would I risk my Adsense account (no previous incidents) to get closed permanently? Or do you get some kind of a first warning?
Sometimes they will simply warn you. However, they shut my old account down for monetization for a similar reason, and I never got a warning or reason as to why. I had to email them to find out.

In regards to YouTube, it would likely be picked up by ContentID, the video would automatically be 3rd party claimed, and, while ads would still be shown on your video, any money earned would go to them, not you. Either that- or YouTube would offer you the option of removing the offending song, but that would likely cause problems if you're talking over it or if there is any other audio going on at the same time.

Of course you have the option of arguing it, but even legally speaking it's a somewhat grey area.

Unfortunately no. YouTube's algorithms will still detect it as 3rd party matched content and it is distorted, if YouTube gives you the option of removing the song from the background will severely reduce the sound quality of the video. Even if the music playing in the background is accidental the video will not be reviewed by YouTube support as the copyright detection system is automated.

If you hear a song being played in the background while you're editing, try muting it during the silences where there is no dialog...this might stop it from getting picked up.

Back