Can you avoid having your videos taken down if you never monetize?

emptyphonebooth

Hi everyone,

I'm starting to get into video creation/editing as a hobby. I have only created one video so far. My content is in the vein of motivational/inspirational music videos. In a nutshell, I take a song that inspires me in a certain way and I add audio snippets of inspirational speakers to the song. Lastly, I will add various video clips to the song and voice over snippets to make it into somewhat of an "Inspirational Music Video". I basically play the role of an editor as I do not own the rights to any of the audio/video that I am using. However, I do not plan on ever monetizing my videos and I source the artist and clips in the descriptions of my videos w/ links to their content (If possible). Is my content still at risk of being completely taken down? The way I see it, I'm basically providing more exposure to their work. It's completely fair if they choose to monetize my video with their copyright. I just think it would be a waste of time for me to create inspirational videos for other people if they are always at risk of being taken down completely. Other channels of the same genre appear to be doing it without having their content taken down.

Similar Channels - Be Inspired, Mateuszm

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Last edited:
What you are doing is a violation of copyright.
Copyright law applies regardless if you monetize or not.

Thanks for the info. I suppose it was a loaded question. Clearly, Im not the first person to do this and I have seen other videos of a similar genre gain a lot of popularity and not get taken down, so I will take my chances!

It's kind of like making bootleg copies of Star Wars and then giving them away for free. You're not making any money from it but you can be sure the copyright owners of Stars would sue. The reason? Although you're not making money, they're losing money from what you're doing. That's the point.

Anyway, I'm going to lock this now because discussing ways around copyright laws is against our forum rules. :)

Back