Can I use a picture of what I am talking about if monetized?

meow

Like say if I were to review a movie could I use a screen shot or quotes from that movie and still monetize if I do not use many screen shots? Fair use seems kind of vague, and I am not exactly sure if I can or not. Like professors for example often write books based off of their views of non-fiction and publish them and make money while using quotes from those books or movies and I dont feel most professors were given permission, they just feel like doing research, giving theories or reviews on things and while most students that write papers are not doing it for profit, many professors are doing it for a living. So how does this translate to youtube, are there different rules since it is video and not a book?

Yes, you should be fine under fair use and, since you're just using screen grabs, you won't have to worry about ContentID flagging your video automatically.

With quotes, if you mean using the actual audio, there will again concerns with ContentID. If you are either reading or displaying them written out, again, no issues with ContentID or copyright.

You should be fine if you use the clips in your own creative way and you don't just reupload long continuous parts of the movie or tv show or whatever you're showing

Back