Can I show a clip of other YouTubers' videos as part of a social commentary video?

David Stoll

Not to be taken seriously
Hey everyone, I am making a video about the diversity of some gay YouTubers--sort of breaking stereotypes thing. When I mention particular YouTubers as examples of certain categories, I would love to show a 10-second clip. Some of the YouTubers are big, and I doubt I'll ever get their attention to ask for permission. Is this something I can do without permission? If there is any doubt, I don't need to show clips, but doing so would enhance my point. Thanks!

You might be able to get away with it, but I do think you would have to get their permission first.
Yeah, after thinking about it some more, I decided I don't want to p**s anyone off. So, I asked for permission from the six YouTubers I want to include. If they say yes, great. If they ignore me (probably), I'll discuss them but not use their clips. Even if it is allowed, I am chicken.

Yeah, after thinking about it some more, I decided I don't want to p**s anyone off. So, I asked for permission from the six YouTubers I want to include. If they say yes, great. If they ignore me (probably), I'll discuss them but not use their clips. Even if it is allowed, I am chicken.
I definitely think it's a safe bet, and who knows? Maybe they will tell you go ahead!

If they are truly huge YouTubers, like Tyler Oakley, I'm going to guess they won't even see your message.

Honestly, go for it. You're probably covered, at least under US copyright laws, because you're doing news/commentary, which allows for small clips to be played for the purposes of discussion.

As a YT courtesy, be sure to provide links to the channels of anyone you mention. :)

Back