Can I sell ad space on my channel banner?

Phil

Does anyone know the legalities around selling ad space on a channel banner? For example, if I do phone reviews and Gazelle.com wants to sponsor my channel, can they pay me $100/week to have their logo on my channel banner?

Thanks,
Phil

No, you can't. YouTube's TOS prohibits any kind of advertising outside of their own ad network, with the exception of product placement which comes with its own set of rules.

@TigerXtrm CollegeHumor is one of biggest youtube channels and I see they are selling ads on banner.
Are they violating Youtube's TOS?

Last edited:
@TigerXtrm CollegeHumor is one of biggest youtube channels and I see they are selling ads on banner.
Well that's a channel with almost 8 million subs. As a big player on YT I imagine you have a little bit more room to negotiate that sort of thing with YouTube. As an average channel however, they're going to come down on it pretty hard I imagine.

Selling ad space on your main page was specifically not allowed five years ago. You also couldn't charge people to be put in your Recommended Channels list either.

I do not know if that is still the case.

I'd say they asked YouTube and got permission.

It appears to be a part of a mass campaign meaning Fanta/ the client likely approached them and asked to sponsor several videos, be on the channel banner, likely get some mentions on social media and I wouldn't be surprised if they bought some in-stream inventory/ impressions also.
All-in-all it could likely be a $100,000 deal with instreams (which Google gets 45% of) and it helps a brand favour the platform for further uses, in would be from that in Google's best interests to allow such a thing to take place.

Back