Can I Monetizing A Compilation Video That Heavy Editing + More?

Just2Check

Hello All,

I have posted a similar if not the exact same question on the google youtube forum but haven't really received much of a response so I thought I would try to post it here as it seems this places has more structure as well as some really great members!

(Copy and Paste From Other Forum)

"I am wanting to make a few compilation video's but not like everything else you see.

I don't want to go too deep into what I would like to do because I don't want my idea taken by another crafty individual right away.

To start off with and to get this out of the way first, yes I would be using video clips sourced elsewhere as well as some found on Youtube. I would like to do voice overs on each clip in the compilation and by doing so it would change each clip from what they were originally intended to be; for instance take a make you laugh clip and change it to something completely different and while you might laugh it wouldn't be for the original video's reason.

Would by me adding my voice over to the original, re-editing some time (a pause for my voice over, and or a different sceen while I voice over as well as maybe doing a rewind and replay) in the middle or near end of each clip qualify my compilation video under fair use and then make it acceptable for monetization?

I have watched Youtube's Copyright Basic's (Global) video and I think (please correct me if I am wrong) that it would be along the lines of a remix, parody, and most importantly transformative use type video.
Under Youtube's Fair Use page
I think it would most easily qualify for the first point of:
1. The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes

Courts typically focus on whether the use is “transformative.” That is, whether it adds new expression or meaning to the original, or whether it merely copies from the original. Commercial uses are less likely to be considered fair, though it’s possible to monetize a video and still take advantage of the fair use defense.

I would be adding a new thought process to each clip in the video which would change it from it's original purpose and effect to something different and would make the audience look differently at it.

Just to add I would not be making a reaction video either although people who watch reaction video's may want to watch the video(s) that I am thinking of making.

I would also add original sources of each video used (if I can find them) as well as link to their page. in the description of the video.

Any help with this question would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time."

I received a reply to the above which said I should look at some other video's which are similar to mine and that another famous youtuber (Ray William Johnson) who does video's like he thought I meant has lawyers to fight copyright claims.

However what I am thinking of doing is nothing like what Ray William Johnson Does.

I replied with:

"Thank you for the reply, I have watched some video's kind of similar to what I am thinking but again the idea I have hasn't really been tried in the way I am thinking.... to give a small amount of detail its something along the lines of a guess what happens next but in the same breath not exactly that cut and dry. (I really can't say more without giving my idea away...)

Instead of watching the original clip where lets say a person falls down in a funny way and then you laugh it would be broken up and make you think about what's going on and what might happen next (which the end of the clip might not be at all the same as what happens in the original video ending as well).

I would prefer of course to contact the original content creator and get permission but some of the clips I'm interested in are many years old (3 to 5 years at least) with the original content creator having no recent uploads within that time frame since or if they do it is only a handful with at least 2 to 3 years of inactivity.

With that said If I am unable to make contact with the original content creator I was wanting to at least have a leg to stand on if something was to occur in the future after creating my idea, and or if I was to make these video's and they were to go viral, then all of a sudden the original content creator see's that I used something that they created and tries to hit me with a copyright complaint I want to at least know where I stand."

Any help that any of the members here could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

*Edit* Sorry about the grammatically awkward title, I just noticed it after posting and can't edit it.*

This is a good question, I see people monetizing Top 5 / 10 lists in gaming channels all the time and assumed it was ok. Bad assumption? Hope you (we) get your (our) answer.

Expect to be 3rd party claimed from ContentID as soon as you post something.

The easiest advice anyone can give is to not worry about what other people are doing and only post what you yourself either create or have somehow fully acquired (in writting) the rights to use.

Back