Calling All VLOGGERS - I want to watch you.

Maybe you could check out some of my videos :) I'm a new youtuber, without much experience, so any advice would be great! Your videos are pretty cool by the way! I subscribed :)

Maybe you could check out some of my videos :) I'm a new youtuber, without much experience, so any advice would be great! Your videos are pretty cool by the way! I subscribed :)

First of all, thank you!

So I think you have the basic ideas down already and the channel you want to create is pretty obvious. However, I think what you need to work on before anything else is making your channel look as professional as you can do - definitely work on making a more professional looking and eye catching banner because at the moment I think it's a bit bland looking and easy to miss. Also make you you configure your home page so it isn't a file of activity (I'm sure this is accessible from the home page itself, I'm sorry I can't remember completely!) and instead it shows your videos in playlists like other professional YouTubers.

I would personally take a look at some new fonts online that are a lot bolder and draw the eye immediately. For example, the thumbnails aren't easy to read and don't give off personality. You can download Gimp for free which is basically a free photoshop and that will allow you to play around with stickers, fonts and effects to make it look a little more fun!

Finally make sure to accentuate your personality 110% in your videos; people want to see attitude, personality and humour. Don't be afraid to be a bit silly and take over the screen! As of right now it's quite easy to switch off from you because your not filling the screen with your own personality or movement, I think this gets better the more videos you make and I can already see you coming out of your shell when you impersonate the rude customers - I think you can take that video and roll with it because by changing up the scenarios and acting the part of the customers you're displaying personality and keeping the audience interested in what's going to happen next.

Oh and one last point please ditch the spinny chair! haha. Maybe this is a personal gripe, but I dislike seeing somebody fidget while they talk about something - it almost shows a lack of passion in what they're saying. Make sure you're really speaking to that camera and you're trying to draw the attention of the viewers at all times!

Hope that helps and good luck!

Hey Jordan I just checked out your channel and I really like the way your channel is set up, plus on your newest video I completely agree with everything you said!

If you have time for it I'd love to hear what you think of my channel :)

Hey Jordan,
You might like my channel, never sure but feel free to check it out :)
Greetings!

Thanks so much Jordan! All of your advice is great. I'll make sure to do all of those things in my future videos :)

I'm pretty much going to say a general problem I have with vlog channels like this before anything else; the truth of the matter is when I first click on your channel I'm met with dozens of daily videos that give me no incentive to watch. I have watched some and your personality and lifestyle does come through very well but you have to think in terms of a new viewer, they are greeted with a mass of videos that suggest a need to watch them from the beginning in order to enjoy them fully. I think the problem is because it almost seems like a personal channel that isn't trying to connect with an audience, instead be a diary for your every day activities. This is obviously only a problem if that case in point isn't true.

See I tend to find vlogs interesting to watch after I've already become accustomed to a person through much more direct videos with an immediate point - somebody here wrote a guide and talked about making small videos that are literally created in order to capture an audience through relativity (As they see something they relate to, vibe with what youre saying and subscribe). It doesn't even have to be skits, or tags, because you have a very independant and powerful style already with your vlogging channel that might become messy if you did start introducing things like that. I just think these videos give people a direct connection to you as a personality, and that gives them an incentive to care about your daily life and activities.

Your 'different' video 'The Beauty of Scotland' is one such example that you could really take and push into a mainstream video, making it much more than a daily vlog. The quality is exceptional and it has an immediate point to it; it's telling us that you want to show us different parts of the world, travelling, the things you love!

I can't fault your quality, you clearly studied photography or took an interest in it because the quality in some of your shots is really professional. Even your first introduction video 'Awkward Beginnings' where you talk to the camera is framed extremely well with a great background image. I just feel like if you do want to reach a wider audience, you need dedicated videos that aim to reach them while your vlogs aim to please those that are already interested.

A lot of your titles are personal or vague (Journey Home, Sooty's Collar, Amy's Journey just a few I'm seeing) and without an interest in your life they wouldn't give me an idea of what I'm about to watch. Like I said that's perfect for keeping those that know about that kind of stuff interested, but in order to capture a new audience sometimes you do have to water down those titles and make something snappy that makes an audience want to watch the video!

FINALLY make sure your home page has a little snappy introduction video or your favourite video or something because it's bare at the minute and that's your first and only chance to make that initial impression with a new subscriber. It's basically you saying 'This is the video you should watch first' .

Thank you for being so in depth! You're completely right and I hadn't thought about it, the titles are a little too specific given my small audience, so going forward I'll definitely think a little more carefully around them. I'd been putting off doing a channel trailer type thing, since I didn't have very much on the channel at the time, but now it's a bit more fleshed out I think now's the time! From your feedback I think it would be a good idea for me to cover some of the basics around my life so people don't feel like they're jumping into the deep end if they want to pick up from later on and not watch the old ones!

The channel itself IS a bit all over the place at the moment, it was originally meant to be to be a bit of a behind the scenes look at what The Alternative Show is doing and what I'm doing in terms of filmmaking, but it ended up being the thing that I put most of my effort into, so I guess I need to decide which way I go with it and change the way I produce and title videos accordingly!

Thanks for the feedback! Out of gratitude (and interest too) I've subbed you!

Thank you for being so in depth! You're completely right and I hadn't thought about it, the titles are a little too specific given my small audience, so going forward I'll definitely think a little more carefully around them. I'd been putting off doing a channel trailer type thing, since I didn't have very much on the channel at the time, but now it's a bit more fleshed out I think now's the time! From your feedback I think it would be a good idea for me to cover some of the basics around my life so people don't feel like they're jumping into the deep end if they want to pick up from later on and not watch the old ones!

The channel itself IS a bit all over the place at the moment, it was originally meant to be to be a bit of a behind the scenes look at what The Alternative Show is doing and what I'm doing in terms of filmmaking, but it ended up being the thing that I put most of my effort into, so I guess I need to decide which way I go with it and change the way I produce and title videos accordingly!

Thanks for the feedback! Out of gratitude (and interest too) I've subbed you!

No worries at all and thank you! Like I said I'm really enjoying what you have already, so I hope it just helps you improve rather than throws a spanner in the works. Good luck!

I'll be looking at some more channels soon guys!

Your angles are great for the reaction videos and I think having the both of you really helps keep interest up and fills the screen well, but I'm noticing the background noise too just like the above poster. Definitely see if you can clean it up a little bit because that's another step to being a really high quality channel.

At first clicking on your channel I didn't really know what to click on so I'd invest in making really clear playlists that highlight the difference between your reaction videos and food reviews. Your reaction videos have good thumbnails that show what I'm going to be watching, but your food reviews need something extra in the title that let's me know what I'm going to watch before I click on it. I know it SHOULD be obvious but when they're all lined up together it would help to have a little / FOOD REACTION or something like that much like you do for the other reaction videos!

Great channels guys, well done![/QUOTE]

Thank you Jordan! :)

First of all I checked out your FLY vlog which I thought is a great original idea and could be quite funny! Much like the first person I think it just needs to have something extra because the camera was static the entire time and the addition of sound effects as every one changed would have made it easier to distinguish between the changing different reasons. They were all great reasons and I enjoyed watching your responses, but it would have kept me watching if something switched up every now and then (Maybe moving the camera, yourself or angles as the fly moves about the room). We all know flies dont stay in one place, we chase them around and try and catch them - try experimenting with different view points like you do in your 'Goodbye Old Camera' video! It really helps switch up the momentum a bit and makes me interested in what I'm watching. Clicking on another one of yours (Freshman tips) it seems very drab and could do with some movement or colour to spice it up! Also I noticed a distinct background noise in your FLY video which would can be quite distracting but isn't massively important.

That being said, I did enjoy it.

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it :). I never thought of changing the camera point of view, but I think it's great idea! I see what you mean now by adding a sound or something. It maybe easy to watch for myself because I already know all the reasons, but for a viewer it's not the same. I'll definitely work on the background noise. I just have to practice with my camera more haha.

Again, Thank you for the advice! It really helped

Back