Broad channel, now focussing on Niché - should I create a new channel?

Do I use my existing broad YT channel or create a new niche-specific one?

• Existing channel

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • New channel

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Duck1986

HI there!

I have a very broad stop-motion channel with 800 subscribers. The focus has been a bit broad, if not random, at times, with some gaming and viral video remakes, with the most popular videos being a historical sit-com/adventure with the most popular episode by far on 296,000 views.

I'm looking into focussing a niche around a particular well supported football club - and I have a potentially huge video in the works as a starting point on this, and then as I've been all set-up for that one, I'm wondering about the possibility of carrying this on with regular videos recent occurrences for this club. The big restrictor on stop-motion videos for youtube is setting up, ahead even of the time-consuming filming. By simply filming in a "football stadium", it's ready-set-up and ready to go for each video.

My concern is my existing subs, who may find this lurch towards that football niche something that doesn't interest them compared to the rest of my videos along different lines.

Am I better building on my existing subscriber base and hoping to grow the channel (but in turn, adding subscribers into the mix who may not be interested when I add videos more along my original lines) or starting off an altogether new channel just focussed on the football, where people go there and know what they are getting?

If creating a new channel, my idea was to create a twitter/facebook account of the same name serving as a regular fan-run twitter/facebook page about the general goings on and my thoughts on the REAL football club, but posting the stop-motion videos on there to followers as and when they are created?

I hope that wasn't too confusing a description! Do I use my existing channel or create a new one?

Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Well I'm a new youtuber and have 4 subscribers so I wouldn't know anything about this, however I would like to ask some questions;
-How did you get so many subscribers?
-What can I do to get "famous" on youtube?

Cheers, have you tried this successfully yourself?

Well I'm a new youtuber and have 4 subscribers so I wouldn't know anything about this, however I would like to ask some questions;
-How did you get so many subscribers?
-What can I do to get "famous" on youtube?

I think you'd be better asking others with more subs than me for the advice! Mine has been over 5 years or so that I've gained the subs, but mostly from my most popular video which people generally find as it happens to show up as the first result on a popular related search-term - so a bit of luck there on my part! :) I'd read some of the sticky threads to grow your channel though as they look very helpful!

hmmmm how niche are we talking here?

Well I'm considering going from a channel featuring a while lot of random stuff, to a channel about
hmmmm how niche are we talking here?

Well I'm concerned, because my subscribers mostly like historical light-hearted stories, but I want to now try animating videos about one specific football club, which I've been testing the water for and know those videos could be massive - but wont appeal to most of my subs - while my old videos won't appeal to my new crowd :(

Also, my previous fans have been adult fans of lego. The new target audience will be more those who see it as a cool fun novelty!

Post your first video that you would put on your new channel on your current one, and see how it does. A litmus test as such!

Personally I think a new channel works great, I just took the leap myself from a broad animation channel to a TV review channel and I love it! It's just a little frustrating starting at 0 subs again, when they 0-100 is the hardest, they're not wrong!

Thanks for the advice @Jaybabywolf - the more I think about it, the more I think a new channel might be the way to go - I'm also assessing how enjoyable/motivating the new video is to make before I decide whether indeed to make similar ones on a regular basis. If I don't think there's a future in it, I'll just pop the one-off video on my current channel!

Ed

Back