Branding Your Show in the Title of Your Video - Yes or No?

What I'm saying is that I spent most of yesterday watching a LOT of "How to YouTube" videos and optimizing a LOT of my old episodes. For example they used to be set up like this:

Internet After Dark: HOW TO HYPNOTIZE WOMEN
  • a one to two sentence silly description a with a few links to all my social media at the end in the About section
  • a set of one word tags that I standardized for the show with a hand full of new words that related to the video.
Based on what I learned about getting more views and optimizing videos for YouTube, I made some drastic changes that have already made my videos get a big boost in views. (Some by as few as ten, others by 100 plus just overnight!)
Now I've set my videos up like this:
HOW TO HYPNOTIZE WOMEN: Internet After Dark
  • I added captions manually by entering the video's settings and copying my episode's script into text field - YT syncs it for me.
  • I OVERHAULED my About sections:
  1. I moved my general website link to the top.
  2. I kept my silly description, but I now added a SKIP TO THE SEXY PARTS area and put jump time codes for impatient viewers. (YT apparently loves having those in About sections)
  3. I put a call to action that directs to the blog post FOR this episode on my show's site.
  4. I copied my episode's script to the About section fully. (YT AND Google's search look at the About section as a gauge of a video's worth. They can't look at the video itself so their computers look at the About area for both keyword density and to make sure it's written by a real person and not just a pile of searchable words.)
  5. I kept my original links at the bottom.
  • I OVERHAULED my tags
  1. I ditched a lot of my one word tags and added a LOT more specific long form tags. For example, I now use "how to hypnotize" "how to hypnotize women" and I also used the search complete function in YT's search bar to find what people were searching for, like "how to really hypnotize people" and "how to hypnotize for real".
It was a LOT of work because I have a lot of episodes - but thankfully I've been hoarding my work on them in Google Docs which made the update easier. Also, my niche is is full of nostalgia topics and vintage erotica which get less overall searches and makes it easier to rank higher on search pages. (I can't imagine how hard it would be to rank on gaming pages because so many people curate game vids!)
OTHER THINGS OF NOTE:
views and interactions drive your video's "score" up in the SEO. Both likes AND dislikes. For example, one of my best viewed episodes now has over 14,000 views now. It also has 25 likes and 22 dislikes. People either get the joke and like it, or don't and dislike it - but either way, folks are watching and interacting with the video which drives more traffic. (Dislikes are nearly equal in positive SEO "score" - so don't dread dislikes... dread no interaction.)

I'll see if I can refine my technique and make a tutorial soon!

I'm liking your explanation a lot, to the point and simple, I'll check back in after I've retyped everything.
I think you'd make a tutorial very well.:D

Well I know what I'm doing tomorrow after I wake up. Thank you for a delightful bunch of information! :D

I put the series names in all my videos. For some videos where the relevance is lower I keep it in a parentheses at the end of the title. It all depends on if the name of your series is within the first results of your search.

If I put a gaming video up, the name of the game will be in parenthesis at the end, UNLESS the game I am covering just came out, then I would put it in the front so the audience that is searching to see what the game is like can see it.

There are people in my niche who commit the same error. They have a series called something to the effect of "Mr. Hunter's Day In The Store, Episode 45"

Well, if you look at their videos, every one only shows the first handful of words so there is nothing distinguishing them from each other unless the creator does something with the thumbnail.

On your question, yes, you are committing a fatal error. Titles and phrases are very important and your focus should be up front, not your branding.

Well I think you should do that. Because by doing that, you can sure that the videos that are in the same show are shown in the "Suggested Videos".

Well I think you should do that. Because by doing that, you can sure that the videos that are in the same show are shown in the "Suggested Videos".

I feel like that's what's happening now! Since I've inverted my titles and optimized my other YT info in the video itself - I'm now at the top of a lot of searches AND they suggest my other videos on the side!

I believe this advice has helped our channel too, some new traffic is because of a New video, however that has nothing to do with how I score in the searches.
I believe because of this advice most of my videos score much higher in the results. (at least in the top 50 ones top 20 and ones second in search for same title)

What I'd like to ask is once your videos have been moving, in analytics you can see 'most used words' or similar would it be wise to sensibly add some of these to the tags?

What I'd like to ask is once your videos have been moving, in analytics you can see 'most used words' or similar would it be wise to sensibly add some of these to the tags?

Actually, I USED to do that. I had standardized tags that I would use over and over that were theme specific and not episode topic specific.

From what I understand, you want to build tags off of the same keyword that you use in your title.

EXAMPLE:

Why Are Popsicles So Tasty? - JIM'S GOOD SHOW

Bad tags:
popsicles, tasty, Jim, Good Show, taste, tongue, funny, lol, humor, chainsaw, dinosaur hat, cheese, girl, guy, man, woman, talking, campfire, outback steakhouse, Ghostbusters

Good tags:
Popsicle, popsicles, why are popsicles so tasty, popsicles are tasty, how are popsicles made, popsicle stick, how are popsicles tasty, where's my popsicle, popsicle in your mouth

As you can see, all the tags are long form and based off of one keyword that keeps getting repeated over and over so that Google and YouTube think that THIS video is clearly about popscicles and should be at the top of the list for popscicle searches.

You can game this a little and use the autofill on YT to find what people are mainly searching for when they type popsicle, and then copy the top 4 autofills right into your tags.

Back