Branding and Rebranding Myself

itssangeeta

So I have a question because I've been doing reading about branding myself. I know certain things about myself and my videos, such as I don't swear in my videos. My issue is I started on Youtube almost two years ago with a series of rants about a certain Youtuber who I won't mention. I don't regret it and the main video is still up because honestly its the most viewed video on my channel. The problem with this is I know that most of my 1,300 subscribers, probably 80%) are subbed because they want me to be a ranter. It was just so negative! There's a portion of my audience that likes me for me and has said that they understand if I no longer want to make rant videos but it's discouraging to see my views per video being so low even though I totally understand why its happening.

I'm just wondering if I should essentially ignore the ranting part of my channel and start over? I've done a few educational type discussion videos but not anymore emotional rants. I won't delete videos or anything but should I just treat things like I'm starting over and come in with the kinds of videos I want to make which are more lifestyle/beauty? My channel and blog both have the tag line "Vlogs/Lifestyle/Beauty/Whatever" which was a recent addition and that's what I'm trying to transition into so I've started the rebranding already. I just want to raise my views per video count and I understand its not easy and I understand why its not great right now but I want to improve! I'm doing Vlogmas this year as an attempt to make loads of videos and learn so I'm really trying.

Let me know if you have any thoughts. I'm really sorry that is so rambly but I'm sick and on a bit of strong cold medicine that I didn't realize was so strong!

Thanks in advance guys :)

Ignore. Youtubers should never feel like they are stuck doing something because their fans want it. Will you have to rebuild your audiance? Sure, but at least they care for you and what you like to make.

Hey Sangeeta, I'm in a really similar position to you! I started off making videos for Youtube just over a year ago and that first one I uploaded was a kind of tongue-in-cheek but also honest piece of dating advice about shy girls (which is me, all over). Since then that video has amassed over 100,000 views and none of my other videos have even come close to replicating its success. Many times over the last year I have wondered whether I should do more dating advice videos to capitalize on that success, but the truth is I really don't have the experience to make those kinds of videos, for one, and they're not really the kinds of videos I am interested in making, for two.

Basically I have come to the conclusion that that one video will hopefully be useful in bringing people to my channel. Once there, they might look at my other videos. For many they will be interested in dating advice so they won't subscribe, but I might pique the interest of someone with my other content so that they will subscribe.

If you no longer want to make rant videos, then maybe this is a good way of looking at it. Only rant on things that truly annoy you and you want to speak up about!

Ignore. Youtubers should never feel like they are stuck doing something because their fans want it. Will you have to rebuild your audiance? Sure, but at least they care for you and what you like to make.

Yeah I'm sure you're right. It's just really discouraging though.
Hey Sangeeta, I'm in a really similar position to you! I started off making videos for Youtube just over a year ago and that first one I uploaded was a kind of tongue-in-cheek but also honest piece of dating advice about shy girls (which is me, all over). Since then that video has amassed over 100,000 views and none of my other videos have even come close to replicating its success. Many times over the last year I have wondered whether I should do more dating advice videos to capitalize on that success, but the truth is I really don't have the experience to make those kinds of videos, for one, and they're not really the kinds of videos I am interested in making, for two.

Basically I have come to the conclusion that that one video will hopefully be useful in bringing people to my channel. Once there, they might look at my other videos. For many they will be interested in dating advice so they won't subscribe, but I might pique the interest of someone with my other content so that they will subscribe.

If you no longer want to make rant videos, then maybe this is a good way of looking at it. Only rant on things that truly annoy you and you want to speak up about!

That's a good way to look at it. Like I'll focus on making good content and hopefully after people watch that one video, they'll check out my channel and see what's hopefully good content and maybe some will subscribe even if I'm not ranting anymore. Thanks!

So I have a question because I've been doing reading about branding myself. I know certain things about myself and my videos, such as I don't swear in my videos. My issue is I started on Youtube almost two years ago with a series of rants about a certain Youtuber who I won't mention. I don't regret it and the main video is still up because honestly its the most viewed video on my channel. The problem with this is I know that most of my 1,300 subscribers, probably 80%) are subbed because they want me to be a ranter. It was just so negative! There's a portion of my audience that likes me for me and has said that they understand if I no longer want to make rant videos but it's discouraging to see my views per video being so low even though I totally understand why its happening.

I'm just wondering if I should essentially ignore the ranting part of my channel and start over? I've done a few educational type discussion videos but not anymore emotional rants. I won't delete videos or anything but should I just treat things like I'm starting over and come in with the kinds of videos I want to make which are more lifestyle/beauty? My channel and blog both have the tag line "Vlogs/Lifestyle/Beauty/Whatever" which was a recent addition and that's what I'm trying to transition into so I've started the rebranding already. I just want to raise my views per video count and I understand its not easy and I understand why its not great right now but I want to improve! I'm doing Vlogmas this year as an attempt to make loads of videos and learn so I'm really trying.

Let me know if you have any thoughts. I'm really sorry that is so rambly but I'm sick and on a bit of strong cold medicine that I didn't realize was so strong!

Thanks in advance guys :)

This is actually a great question!
Successful people pivot all the time for many reasons, before they reach their true 'calling'.
Many people start off doing something completely different, and change over time.
I've only just started, but already I have a variety of genres which reflect my interests. The way I handle it is by creating different playlists and promoting those to different crowds.

If I were you, I'd keep the rant channel and start another channel from scratch. YouTube makes that easy now - you can have multiple channels under the same YouTube account. Start doing what you LOVE. Forget what people think or you think people like. If YOU don't like it, they will stop liking it too eventually.

Anyway, you may feel the need to rant now and again. You wont have to do it on your new channel. You can go to the old one to go rant. See what I mean?

Good luck

Ade

Back