Votes: 0 0.0%
  • How I Met Your Mother

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Once Upon A Time

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

24kevin

HI guys,
just looking for a little help here, hopefully I'm in the right forum. As my show progresses it's going to rely heavily on flashbacks for story driven episodes. As it stands, I just do a white flash and a little whoosh sound effect for the flashback, but I'm kind of looking for a better way to make it look a little more effective, any recommendations?

The only other thing I could suggest is putting a black and white (or some other filter) over the flashback bits

Maybe some waves as well as the flash, you could cover the portion of video with a white overlay with low opacity or make it a bit more faded and dream like. You could also use blur nicely here as flashbacks typically arent crystal clear in our heads and that would suit them.

I think it depends on how far back the flashback goes. Typically if it goes back a while I like to make sure that there is a different color grade to it so you can tell there is a time change. However if it is like HIMYM you can do a simple push transition and speed it up, then add your woosh sound effect and you will have the same effect as them. I think theirs works pretty well.

Maybe some waves as well as the flash, you could cover the portion of video with a white overlay with low opacity or make it a bit more faded and dream like. You could also use blur nicely here as flashbacks typically arent crystal clear in our heads and that would suit them.

I am sort of looking for something along the lines of making it look more supernatural, problem is I also use a black and white filter when talking to people "in my head". I know it probably doesn't make too much sense from the way I'm explaining it. But if I were summing up what i really need; what would be a good way to make it seem like the memories are there, but something's missing or the memories are a little hazy

I am sort of looking for something along the lines of making it look more supernatural, problem is I also use a black and white filter when talking to people "in my head". I know it probably doesn't make too much sense from the way I'm explaining it. But if I were summing up what i really need; what would be a good way to make it seem like the memories are there, but something's missing or the memories are a little hazy

Perhaps a ripple effect around the edges and some greens and blacks? Thats all I can think of right now :)

Edit: I like the flashback sort of stuff they done in Black Ops, you might get some inspiration from this (Skip to 03:23):

Back