Best FREE recording software when starting out on youtube

Use OBS (Open Broadcasting Software). It has been compared to xplit a lot! It is basically a free version of that. It has plenty of features and the most + the best for a free recording software. When you get some cash definetally go for DxTory, it gives you the best quality and records almost no color loss if not none. Obs is mainly used for streaming but works exceptionally for recording, you do have to change some settings to be able to have it record but it works great once you find the best settings for you, and of course, you can always find some quick setup vids on youtube! Also another great thing about OBS is that it has NO WATERMARK AT ALL! You will NEVER have to pay for OBS! Imo, OBS is the way to go. The file size isnt that big if your concerned about that. It does have some color loss but it is basically the best you can get out of a free program. And if you just starting out on youtube it shouldn't be much of a problem! If your worried about how much of a resource hog it is I tested it on my pc and it jumped me up about 10-15 cpu usage. But if lag is a problem for you I recommend checking a setting in the video settings called disable areo. This will help A LOT, I have lag problems when recording so I use it. To get you pc back to its normal settings you just exit out of OBS and it ill change back to its original state. Just a side note: I believe it is only windows compatible but I may be wrong, I will leave a link to its website and I guess you can see for yourself. I can't link the website through this thread because it doesn't allow links... Just search Open Broadcast Software and you will find it.

There is also no recording limit that a lot of other "free" recording softwares have. The only downside to this software is it doesn't split your audio and video to separate files. This could have some drawbacks if you need to cut out something that somebody said in your video.

I hope this thread was helpful to anybody who read it. Good luck!

I have Fraps but I wish I would have known about this sooner. Hopefully a lot of people see this and it helps them. I learned something new today :thumbsup2:

I totally agree about OBS. The only other recording software I've tried in the past was Fraps and it was just heaps of trouble to get it to work, and I have to confirm that it is nice for a free software to have no watermark.

As for the video and audio being recorded simultaneously, you can always record your audio with Audacity (a great and free audio recording software) and mute your audio track in whatever editing software you use. I use Sony Vegas Pro 11 and it's quite easy to do so.

I totally agree about OBS. The only other recording software I've tried in the past was Fraps and it was just heaps of trouble to get it to work, and I have to confirm that it is nice for a free software to have no watermark.

As for the video and audio being recorded simultaneously, you can always record your audio with Audacity (a great and free audio recording software) and mute your audio track in whatever editing software you use. I use Sony Vegas Pro 11 and it's quite easy to do so.

The only problem with fraps is you have to pay around $30 for the full version and the free version only lets you record 30 second videos... Also fraps saves in HUGE files I've heard.
Your suggestion of using a different software to record audio and mute your mic in obs is a good idea, thanks![DOUBLEPOST=1405212613,1405212563][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have Fraps but I wish I would have known about this sooner. Hopefully a lot of people see this and it helps them. I learned something new today :thumbsup2:

Glad I could help! :)

I remember using bandicam free for the first few days, couldn't manage the 10 minute marks, and having a watermark on everything :eek:

I use dxtory, but you have to pay for it... If you are good, you can find several sources which you can get the full version of it for free ;)

Back