Best camera for my needs & price range?

JesusGreen

Posting Mad!
So basically I set up my channel recently, and since the primary goal of the channel is to teach people things that can be explained entirely via audio and need no physical demonstration - so buying a microphone was the main priority, and after getting myself a Samson Meteor mic I started making videos using stock footage or background footage made in After Effects to get the channel going.

Now though I've decided that at least for my chats/v-log type videos I definitely need a camera, and it'd also give me the option to record my own background nature footage and such for my motivational/inspirational videos.

Basically the most important thing for me is that I can get clear 1080p+ footage of myself for v-log style videos done in front of my computer. I'd like my footage to look professional and not like I'd just pulled out my phone and hit record. Now as a secondary thing, I don't want a stationary camera (i.e. no webcams etc) because I want to be able to record out on the go, while on walks, or on vacation etc.

Since my Samson Meteor is a USB mic, the camera should have a fairly high quality audio input of its own, because I won't be able to plug the Samson in, and would only be able to do audio-syncing if I'm recording at home, not when I'm out and about. Image should be 1080p and clear at a minimum of 25-30fps (60 would be nice, but isn't necessary). Contrast, white-balance, and the warmth of the colour should be either good or something that is easily adjustable in post. Bonus points if it has good quality on the move (i.e. walking and talking with it in my hand if I don't have a tripod of some kind with me).

As far as my price range goes, my budget isn't that big. I'm based in Europe, so many of the $200 cameras you'll find in the US are closer to 200 pounds/euros (which is more like ~$300) here - but some of them the prices are similar/cheaper. I'd say $250-350~ ish or so would be the most I'd really want to spend, unless there was some crazy amazing deal just above that - and if possible, sub below $150-200 would be best.

I know nothing really about which cameras are good for those purposes, but a few I looked at were:

AEE S71T Touch - in my price-range, action cam that does 1080p and even 4k. downside was the audio and white-balance didn't seem to be too good based on the footage I saw on YouTube. Upside with an action cam is they're nice and small so easier to carry around, plus much less likely to get stolen etc.
Canon Legria HF R66 and R68 - Zoom and colour on these look really good. I'd say the video quality looks noticeably better to me than the AEE but the downside is of course the larger size of the camera making it slightly harder to take around/have with me at random times.
Samsung NX Mini - Not sure if it's in my price range since I haven't really shopped around the prices of it over here, but quality wise it looks amazing with the right settings, and I like the idea of being able to change lenses and having something do all that with a nice compact size almost similar to the action-cams.

That's just a few I looked at but honestly I really don't know where to start. Last time I actually owned any sort of camera that wasn't a part of my phone was probably like a good 9-10 years ago.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

before i went onto DSLR I used a panasonic HV-C160EB-K

Portablility wise, it's TINY! very compact indeed

1080p and 38x optical zoom but not great in low light conditions

audio is very meh, but all audio on cameras in this price bracket will be.

It's not bad at all, I just wanted more control over picture, which is why I chose to go down the DSLR way

but for £130 you cant go wrong

Ah thanks for replying, because I totally forgot about this thread. In the end I decided I couldn't afford a higher end DSLR (nor would I want to carry one around everywhere) so it'd be better to get a higher quality point and shoot/compact, that way if it comes to upgrade time in a couple of years it's not a matter of replacing a lower quality DSLR with a higher quality one - but simply keeping my point and shoot for outside/vlog stuff and adding a DSLR for at home stuff.

I looked at a lot of options including the ones listed above, and eventually came to the conclusion that if I wanted quality I wanted one of the 1" sensor varieties available (or to settle for having a bigger camera and getting a mirrorless 4/3" or something) - so it was a toss up between the Sony RX100 M1 (cheaper, less features, but also had more or less everything I wanted/needed) vs the Canon G7x (more expensive, more features, slightly lower out of the box audio quality). Then I realised the Sony RX100 M2 had the best of both worlds for me and so eventually decided on that one.

I'll perhaps share a review of it or something once I've got the camera and played around with it a little, but it looks like it'll be just the thing for my needs. It has hotshoe too which is nice so I can get myself a mic or viewfinder etc :)

Back