Being a YouTuber is Harder Than It Looks

CoolMoo5

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Amazing post! You are totally right.

ps. about this 14 years old, she's fine, good vids, but (and it's only my opinion) she's actually doing nothing. I mean, who is she without tags video? huh... don't know what to think.
What are you saying? Maybe you could edit your post so I can understand it.

I don't really think her content is anything special but yet she inspires me. I am amazed that she is able to do to so much with just an ipad and it shows how much times have changed. When I was 14 I had windows movie maker and a (not hd) flip camera. A lot of teens and young people nowadays complaining about how they "only" have an iphone or ipad don't even realize how much they can do with with just one device. But then some people take what they have and make something of it and I think people like her really inspire me for that reason. I just linked her channel to prove you don't need tons of expensive equipment to run a successful channel.

BitFunky

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Oh My God... Nice, the best and one of the most helpful post i have ever read... And totally agree with you... YouTube isnt the easiest thing, how the most people think... Really great videos that you have attached to te post..
Big thumbs up for you, cheers :* ;)

Reactions: CoolMoo5

petr_ind

Reaction score
Yes of course it is not as easy as it looks. We have to be creative and make lot of ideas everyday or week.

Brickpro

GFX artist, Tech Reviewer, VFX!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Designer, Other
Yeah, You defiantly need to either upload regularly or make things people want to share, take FinalCutKing for example, even though his subs have gone down, he still gets views and generates a small amount of revenue.

Palidor

The Palidor Project
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think its to easy for people to fall into the trap that Youtube is going to be easy and millions of people watch youtube so I will get stacks of views right? Wrong if you don't put love and effort into your channel you wont get the views and if you don't get the views with people watching for a fair amount of time then Youtube wont promote you and your videos sit on page 100 with 0 views. Its a tough gig...I have only just started so sadly cant offer much help to anyone but the recommendation I have are:

1. If you need to buy a new camera with at least 720p (like CoolMoo said)
2. Always use a thumbnail
3. Always edit your clips use Youtube Capture app if you have to
4. If you have bad internet uploading can take forever. Try looking up a program called Handbrake its a real life saver
5. Enjoy yourself!!!!

Reactions: Science Scenes

WarriorDan

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
A few things that I think helps my channel is:

#1: Be sure to take the time to produce good quality content.
People don't just want to watch half-assed s**t that looks like it was made by a 2-year old.
There are too many starting-out YouTubers who try so hard to put out like 5 videos a day like Pewdiepie,
they don't take the time to actually deliver good quality content.

#2: Be consistent. Deliver new videos on a specific schedule. I personally aim for twice a week. I would do more,
but this 2 a week limitation is currently due to scheduling and technical issues, which should free up in the coming months.

#3: Interact with your community. Encourage people to "like" your video. YouTube is more likely to promote videos with a lot of likes
than a channel with all the subs in the world. After all, if people like your content, YouTube figures they'd at least give the video a thumbs-up to show it!
And reply to comments, make your viewers feel like they're part of an actual community! That's one thing all the successful big youtubers have in common: They engage with their audience. You should too!

#4: Don't engage in sub-4-sub deals with others, you'll both just end up with a lot of inactive subscribers that don't watch your content. Not a good thing.

Just some pretty generic tips that might help the new YouTuber, hope they help! :)
If you find this helpful, I wouldn't say no to a "like" myself! The button's right there! (Yep, thank you!) lol.

Jaybabywolf

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I've been on Youtube for over a year now, and my channel was for my random animations that I enjoyed making. Thing is, they weren't always the highest of quality, nor did they have any consistency. Point being, it takes time for people to get a feel for Youtube and find out what can work for them. I've now started a new channel and in two weeks its grown to the third of the size of my original year old channel, because I've taken the time to find what I can do and do well, and execute it in the best way possible.

With my prior knowledge I've been able to brand properly, give my show a consistent structure in a format I can deliver really well and just start out on the right foot!

Kinda have to see it like applying for a job, you need the experience before you can do the job right!

WarriorDan

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've been on Youtube for over a year now, and my channel was for my random animations that I enjoyed making. Thing is, they weren't always the highest of quality, nor did they have any consistency. Point being, it takes time for people to get a feel for Youtube and find out what can work for them. I've now started a new channel and in two weeks its grown to the third of the size of my original year old channel, because I've taken the time to find what I can do and do well, and execute it in the best way possible.

With my prior knowledge I've been able to brand properly, give my show a consistent structure in a format I can deliver really well and just start out on the right foot!

Kinda have to see it like applying for a job, you need the experience before you can do the job right!
Exactly how I view it! Originally I put out stupid, badly-editing gaming videos, didn't really do tags or focus on a consistent release schedule, but eventually it all and re-organized my channel entirely, started over. Now I focus on gaming news, game reviews, and occasionally parody videos as well. In fact, I'm setting aside money for an all-new gaming PC, with a 2 TB Hard Drive, 16 GB of RAM, a NVIDIA 980 graphics card, etc, and a copy of Sony Vegas, that way I can focus on producing only the best quality content possible! I'm committing to YouTube for the long run! :)

By the way, fantastic-looking channel, Jaybabywolf! I loved your Daredevil review! The animation was solid, maybe needing just a little fine-tuning but still good, and your thoughts came across clear and informative! I subbed! (And I don't sub to a lot of channels, so, thumbs up!)

Jaybabywolf

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Exactly how I view it! Originally I put out stupid, badly-editing gaming videos, didn't really do tags or focus on a consistent release schedule, but eventually it all and re-organized my channel entirely, started over. Now I focus on gaming news, game reviews, and occasionally parody videos as well. In fact, I'm setting aside money for an all-new gaming PC, with a 2 TB Hard Drive, 16 GB of RAM, a NVIDIA 980 graphics card, etc, and a copy of Sony Vegas, that way I can focus on producing only the best quality content possible! I'm committing to YouTube for the long run! :)

By the way, fantastic-looking channel, Jaybabywolf! I loved your Daredevil review! The animation was solid, maybe needing just a little fine-tuning but still good, and your thoughts came across clear and informative! I subbed! (And I don't sub to a lot of channels, so, thumbs up!)
Congratulations on finding your focus, sounds like you're pretty excited about it all, always a good sign!

Thanks! I worked really hard on the Daredevil one, so that actually means a lot :) Definitely in it for the long haul now myself, got a lot of free time on my hands to get ahead of the curve!

Reactions: WarriorDan