Being a YouTuber is Easier Than it Looks

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolMoo5

I Love YTtalk
Hey there! I don't if you remember (or care) but I made big long article/post on this forum called "Being a YouTuber is harder Than it Looks. I also made a YouTube video on my channel that had the same name.

Anywayyyyyys, today I'm to contradict going to talk about how being a YouTuber is easier than it looks.

First off, the ease of getting an account. Getting a YouTube account is so easy all you have to do is sign up. It doesn't take long it is completely free. Just be sure to think of a good channel name, but the good news thanks to the google+ thing if you don't like your name you can changer it later. Next setting up your account. This is optional, but if you want to be a YouTuber it is super duper highly recommended. Fill out your about section, make some playlists, add some channels to your box, add your social media links. Then you should add a banner, now even if you aren't an artist and can't make art at all, all you don't know anyone at all (hint for those people check out the yttalk graphics forum). But lets say you can't even request a graphics, just use a default banner that google has its better than nothing. Assuming you already have other social media accounts, twitter, instagram, etc or you don't want to make ones. Total time for all of this is probably 30 minutes or less. And there you have it, a YouTube channel ready to go all that is missing is videos.

Now you need to gather you equipment and make a video. For this post, I'm just assuming that you want to make a vlog/talking to the camera type video. Maybe you don't and that is okay, but for whatever video you make, the basic principles are the same. First you think of an idea and decide what you want to film. Then you film it. Then you can do a little editing and then you upload it. That is it. If you want to make your first video a basic five facts about me video. It shouldn't be too hard, just think of the facts, film it, add a few cuts, and then upload. When you upload just add some tags and maybe a quick custom thumbnail. Or if you don't know anything about making thumbnails just pick the best default one.

Now back to the equipment thing. I started YouTube in 2008 and the camera I used was an off brand flip camera that cost $70. It was horrible and not even Hd. If you have an iphone you have a waayy better camera then anything a small beginning YouTuber used in 2008. Or if you don't have an iphone (or android, etc. phone with a video camera) you probably have a webcam. Now if you have none of those things if you go out and spend even $100 on a point and shoot camera that does video you will have something pretty good to start off, pair that with a $15-20 tripod and you are good to go. Kids nowadays think they need the best equipment to start YouTube when they don't even realize that they have have more then even kids five years ago. When I was 13 years old I had an off brand flip camera and the shared family computer that had movie maker. And now there are thirteen year old with their own laptops and iphones and they still complain that can't make videos. Just make do with what you have especially if it is just your first couple videos.

So anyways, say there was a person who actually never had a YouTube channel before and they did all the things I listed. It wouldn't even take them a full day to get their channel up and running with a video. Would they be good? nope. Would have many subscribers? Nope. But if you are someone out there who says "hey I want to make YouTube videos." it isn't that hard. The hard part is making quality videos on a regular basis that people actually want to watch. But compared to just a few years ago, being a YouTuber is really easy. But if you want to upload quality content on regular basis, gain a large following, still have time for work/school/whatever else you do, and not have YouTube consume all your time, that is not easy at all.

I don't know if this helps anyone, I kind of just wanted to contradict myself, I think was too hard on myself and YouTubers. In some ways, being a YouTuber is easier than it looks. Even YOU can do it. Just get an account, make a video and upload it.

Totally agree its not really that hard to start now a days, its more the growing a good channel and maintaining it that's hard with less niches to fill now then a few years ago its harder to be unique and grab attention. However making a video and uploading it easier then ever :)

Reactions: RBG
Totally agree its not really that hard to start now a days, its more the growing a good channel and maintaining it that's hard with less niches to fill now then a few years ago its harder to be unique and grab attention. However making a video and uploading it easier then ever :)

Yeah. The whole point of this post was mainly saying how the process of psychically creating a channel and making a video and uploading it is easy. The rest is not so easy.

The overall process has become easier thanks to Google, but I do think the level of quality content that people look for has changed. Folks can't really get away with using webcam footage and poor audio- a lot of viewers will click away rather quickly. I don't think we all need top-notch equipment to make videos, but the bar has definitely risen.

I find it difficult to keep up with my channel, and I only post once a week. A lot of planning needs to go into each video, and it's hard for me to find enough time. I can see how talking videos might be a little easier to keep up with. I've been trying to think of some ways I could integrate talking videos into my channel without making it too awkward. They are also more personable, which is something my channel severely lacks..

I helped my Mom set up a YouTube channel. She was overwhelmed with all of the links and buttons she needed to click on to browse through her dashboard. That's when I realized that YouTube is actually kind of complex. It seems more complex than how I remember it back in the day when there were 5-star ratings. Back then, there were less buttons and it seemed easier to find things.

I do appreciate most the advances that Google has done with the site. But...I still think the old layout was better. : P

Yup being YouTuber is easy but growing part is difficult but if we have great passion, we can make it happen :)

Exactly. That is kind of what I was trying to say. Another thing that is difficult is sticking with it. So many channels start and then abandon them later because growing and making more videos isn't easy.

Exactly. That is kind of what I was trying to say. Another thing that is difficult is sticking with it. So many channels start and then abandon them later because growing and making more videos isn't easy.
Hi! That's exactly what i'm struggling with. I'm kinda new in this activity and i know that my type of videos are very common on youtube, but this is what i want and like doing. It's a passion that i want to harness. But it seems really difficult to grow your channel. Sometimes I'm wondering if it is because of the content or because there are too many videos.

I agree with you.
Being a youtube is easier than it sounds, but to really achieve good quality like "famous" youtubers is hard.
It's like becoming a comedian it takes time to devolope your jokes and to do standup.

The thing about Youtubing is that it is very very easy to get started. (If you have the money). There are plenty of guides for banners, profile art, editing, equipment, etc. The HARD part is sticking with Youtubing. It is easy to just say f-this after not seeing progress. People just got to understand that it takes time. Sometimes a lot and sometimes a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back