I have been so far recognized three times by people. I'm more of shy kind of person so it was a little awkward but yeah, was still quite nice :)
I lived on the Philippines for some months and where ever I went people came to take pictures with me (apparently I looked like Justin Bieber). Some times there was a huge crowed around me and it felt quite uncomfortable.
So no, I rather prefer to be not recognized too often.

As someone who’s been on YouTube for years, I’ve always tried to keep my youtube life separate from my real life. Aside from vidcon every year, I’ll probably only get recognized a few times a year and then all I have to do is take a selfie with a fan. Late last year things changed. I had some medical issues and was hospitalized for about six months. The hospital staff treated me different bevpcause of myYouTube channel. My doctor/surgeon even asked for a shoutout in a video. The best part about it was the fan support. They sent lots of messages wishing me well, some came to visit and they would order food and have it delivered to me after seeing pics of the hospital food on my Facebook page.
That's so cool! I'm kind of in the same area as you (well it's food anyway) and I've found that my community albeit small, is extremely supportive and kind. I've even had some gifts sent to me from subscribers. Bit weird your doctor asked for a shout out haha. Did you do it?

I have been so far recognized three times by people. I'm more of shy kind of person so it was a little awkward but yeah, was still quite nice :)
I lived on the Philippines for some months and where ever I went people came to take pictures with me (apparently I looked like Justin Bieber). Some times there was a huge crowed around me and it felt quite uncomfortable.
So no, I rather prefer to be not recognized too often.

I've watched some of your videos before man! I think it's cool you've lived in the Philippines before cause I live here haha (no relation to anything, just saying haha).

And to stay on topic, we're not a big channel but one of the guys on my channel got recognized at a mall by some girls. He said he didn't know how to react so he just thanked them and left.

Ya it happened to me before in my college, some guy spotted me in library that I am YOUTUBER. But then I felt shy and I removed my channel. Somehow I gathered the energy to accept the extraordinary attention from people. So I am back with great energy. I know thats special feeling but very weird.

That's so cool! I'm kind of in the same area as you (well it's food anyway) and I've found that my community albeit small, is extremely supportive and kind. I've even had some gifts sent to me from subscribers. Bit weird your doctor asked for a shout out haha. Did you do it?

I didn’t give the doc a shout out. At that point I was paralyzed and wanted him to do his job and get me on my feet again. But sadly getting me back into one piece wasn’t his prioirity

i do mainly because i have an 'addictive personality' (or something) so that means i will come to expect that and it may go to my head but i would like to be somewhat recognized just not a global icon or something

Hey yters,

This afternoon I was recognized by someone and I wasn't as excited about it as I thought I would be.

I've only been youtubing for about 8 months and I was kind of taken by surprise, I wasn't expecting to get recognized so soon and more importantly, it got me thinking about what happens as you become even more well known. It was nice to be recognized but I was also feeling a little weird for some reason... Maybe it was just because it was the first time it happened but also, I started to think that I might not want that recognition. I really enjoy making and sharing videos but just thinking that there's a chance of becoming a youtube celeb makes me anxious.

Anyone else have these mixed feelings? And any advice on this topic?
I think you should take it as a nice compliment yes we all get anxious the first time when we walk into something we aren't familiar with its completely normal but I see other youtubers with over 6 mio. followers and less who can walk out on the street and live a normal live but I just see it though there vlogging camera so I cant tell if they cut those parts out :)

I echo this. I am way too much of a stud to show my face.
We also don't know if that 98,000 subscribers is real or not, and since you don't share your channel we don't have a clue to care about you here much anyway. I don't know what exactly you're hiding. You should be proud.

Back