Background music in vlog from a location....not from you. Is that copyright infringement?

Annette Regina

Liking YTtalk
I know youtube has a very strict copyright policy so I'm a bit concerned about this. I've been doing some outdoor vlogging and sometimes the places I visit have several known artists' songs playing in the background, while I'm talking.

If i upload videos with such background music am I in violation of youtube policies? especially as i can't delete the music without deleting my conversation.

thanks

I guess it depends how loud the music is and if the algorithm picks it up. you probably will get lucky if it's not that loud but you probably are rolling the dice.

Yes, you would need to use a program like audacity to take the background stuff out.

Okay thanks. How does it work? is it compatible with iMovie? thats the software I use for editing my videos.[DOUBLEPOST=1488334137,1488334071][/DOUBLEPOST]
I guess it depends how loud the music is and if the algorithm picks it up. you probably will get lucky if it's not that loud but you probably are rolling the dice.
Thanks. Its not loud but it bothered me enough to create this thread. plus, its good to know going forward.

Taken from fairusetube.org/guide-to-youtube-removals/3-deciding-if-video-is-fair-use
When copyrighted material is incidentally captured in the background of a video (for example, a baby dancing to a Prince song as in the case Lenz v. Universal ) courts have held it to be fair use. This would also include things like home recordings of a school talent show or dance performance that happen to include performances of copyright songs.

Back