Background Music Copyright

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but can I monetize a video if there is a Metallica song playing in the background without getting a copyright strike? It's pretty clear at some points of the video and not so much at others.

If I don't monetize, can I still get a copyright strike? I'm pretty sure you can, but I'm not sure if they want to be dicks they can still hit me with a strike.

I really want to use the audio in the video to get the sounds of the dogs wrestling.

You may be able to monetize it, or you may get a strike regardless of whether you monetize it or not... To see YouTube's current policies with a particular song, I'd search through their music policies database:
https://www.youtube.com/music_policies

That webpage will tell you what YouTube will do if they detect a particular song in your video, whether or not you can monetize your video, and who will be able to watch your video. It's also important to note that music policies can change. One example was the sudden take-down of Taylor Swift covers a year or so ago after someone decided to change the YouTube policies with some of her songs....

If you are using the song without permission, then you're probably better off leaving it demonetized. It really just depends on the song though. Royalty Free FTW.

If you are using the song without permission, then you're probably better off leaving it demonetized. It really just depends on the song though. Royalty Free FTW.
I just realized my skydiving video on a different channel uses the same song, it didn't get a copyright strike but it got demonetized by the owner. I used my editing software to reduce the sound so now the music is almost eliminated and when you can hear it the sound is more like it's coming through a wall and is very muffled. Let's see what happens!

Monetizing or not shouldn't change the action that the copyright owner performs. Background music that you can't control is generally considered Fair Use, but most copyright holders don't seem to care about that. You'll most likely only get a strike if you get a claim and dispute it, then appeal it when that fails. Even then, submitting a counter-notification will resolve that, but it's quite a bit of hassle to go through all that. It would most likely rule in your favor if it went to court, but that would be a huge hassle as well. Editing the audio is probably the simplest approach.

Monetizing or not shouldn't change the action that the copyright owner performs. Background music that you can't control is generally considered Fair Use, but most copyright holders don't seem to care about that. You'll most likely only get a strike if you get a claim and dispute it, then appeal it when that fails. Even then, submitting a counter-notification will resolve that, but it's quite a bit of hassle to go through all that. It would most likely rule in your favor if it went to court, but that would be a huge hassle as well. Editing the audio is probably the simplest approach.
I used my Cyberlink WaveEditor program and now the music is extremely muffled and the dogs still sound good. There are a couple parts where the music comes through clear, but it is very brief. I'm pretty sure I would have received a 3rd party hit by now if it would happen.

Maybe. Most of them happen automatically as soon as it is uploaded, but it's not unusual for me to get claims on videos after they've been up for several months.
Yeah I had a video that I was supposed to have rights to the music that got a 3rd party hit a couple years after it was uploaded. The band who created the song commented on my video a few days later saying thanks for featuring their music lol.
fungus.jpg

Yeah I had a video that I was supposed to have rights to the music that got a 3rd party hit a couple years after it was uploaded. The band who created the song commented on my video a few days later saying thanks for featuring their music lol.
View attachment 39844
How silly. Best I ever got was someone saying their younger sister or cousin did the voice of the main character of one of shows I ruined the intro of. Then later on someone else who knew him and also did a voice on the show replied to their comment. Both really liked what I had done to the video.[DOUBLEPOST=1489096943,1489094521][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, my wife lived in Tucson for 7-8 years and worked at La Mesa RV.

Back