* AVOID THE TRAP - VITAL tip to gaming channels!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that as long as you put some of your content ( for example commentary ) over the footage there won't be a problem.

You do have the option of requesting permission from the video game publishers to monetize your videos on their game. Depending on what you play, this may or may not be possible. For PC gamers, you will have a lot of luck with Free to Play titles, indie games, and any other publisher looking for free advertising for his game, through your videos. Minecraft had essentially no PR whatsoever, and sold millions of copies due to YouTube users.

If you're a console gamer or PC gamer who tends to only play AAA titles like Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, or Halo then most likely you're out of luck. Not only will it be essentially impossible to get in touch with the publisher, the chances of them sending you a legal confirmation to monetize your videos is next to none.

Keep this in mind if you are unable to, or don't wish to partner with a gaming network, you do have a few options available!

Note though, some games allow monetization (Minecraft) so it depends on the companys terms and conditions

Question: Does RPM or Socialblade own these rights? They aren't SPECIFICALLY a gaming network but, they do say that, "Gamers are welcome."

personally I had a problem like this.. but i just un-monetized all the videos that didn't pass the monetize review stage :) once you get partnership though you can claim all your videos and never have a problem.. as long as you don't use copyright music and such :)

Great Advice.

I'm glad I never enabled monetization when I was first growing my channel. I took the time to focus on meeting new people, growing my sub and views, and to be honest - it was a worry free time. Once I was able to partner, the process was more quick and smooth because I never enabled it, and I was able to then start making money faster.

We all like money - but the whole thing is a walk, not a run. You need to develop yourself and your content, before you can start raking in that dough :)

I just disabled it but on my channel settings it still shows " Partner | Verified " & Monetization
pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif

at a green circle.

Does it take time for me not be montized anymore or something? I don't want my account deleted , help ! I only clicked montize in the first place so I can get thumbnails, I didn't know I would have the status " Partnered " . I don't want to be partnered.

I'm not convinced. I don't see why the video game company has any reasonable claim to the footage in the first place (I'd argue that the video game footage is "transformative", not "derivative"), and I'm not convinced that its use in a Let's Play isn't, itself, fair use.

To be clear: I'm not a lawyer, I'm not advocating people go back out and re-enable monetization, but I'm certainly not disabling it, as I don't buy the underlying argument, and I don't buy that Google is intentionally screwing people over by offering them monetization rights when they know perfectly well that the content cannot be monetized. I WILL, however, advocate you do no more than turn off monetization on a video in particular, not for your entire account. If you don't think you have monetization rights for a video, don't demonetize your entire account, just don't monetize that video. If you don't think you have the right to post the video, I'd recommend against posting it at ALL (unless you're engaged in some weird, civil-disobedience centered cyber protest. In which case I'd recommend you maybe rethink your medium?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back